Sleeping in graveyards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busman

After reading this I would personally pay for a room and be comfortable.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Spain is pretty cheap for rooms, and i have always thought it pretty near impossible to wild camp in much of the country. In three fortnight trips i think i have spotted a handful of decent wild camping spots. Graveyards would ok, just get in after dark and make sure no one sees you, and be gone by first light - agricultural workers start very early in all countries. So that means you might not get much sleep at all. Hotels in spain cost about the same as youth hostels in the UK, so you might not actually be saving very much money for the weight penalty of carrying sleeping bag, mat and bivi bag. You will probably only sleep in graveyards three times a week, as you will need a shower after riding in spanish heat for a few days, but if you want to try it, then please do let us know as it might be the answer to a cheap trip.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
After reading this I would personally pay for a room and be comfortable.

Spain is pretty cheap for rooms, . Hotels in spain cost about the same as youth hostels in the UK, so you might not actually be saving very much money for the weight penalty of carrying sleeping bag, mat and bivi bag. You will probably only sleep in graveyards three times a week, as you will need a shower after riding in spanish heat for a few days, but if you want to try it, then please do let us know as it might be the answer to a cheap trip.

I've cycled all over Spain and know what rooms cost, hotels, hostals/pensions, rooms above bars etc Although pretty cheap I've always had a partner, solo is not so cheap and I want to do it cheaply. I've been to Sicily, am going to Valencia May 4th and have 2 family holidays to pay for, I simply can't justify yet another cycle jaunt to my good lady, unless it's for peanuts.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Having given this some thought I would counsel against it. The issue is the perception of the families of those in the graves v your perception. You seem to be a very straightforward chap but a lot of people would be very upset to find out someone had been using their loved one's grave as a bed. I appreciate that probably nobody will find out but that's not the point really is it?

Although I don't know, I suspect that in a catholic country like Spain, families will be even more sensitive to something like this than in UK. So I suggest you be respectful in their country and don't do it. Just find somewhere less sensitive to wild camp

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Having given this some thought I would counsel against it. The issue is the perception of the families of those in the graves v your perception. You seem to be a very straightforward chap but a lot of people would be very upset to find out someone had been using their loved one's grave as a bed. I appreciate that probably nobody will find out but that's not the point really is it?

Although I don't know, I suspect that in a catholic country like Spain, families will be even more sensitive to something like this than in UK. So I suggest you be respectful in their country and don't do it. Just find somewhere less sensitive to wild camp

I'm a Catholic too and so would expect forgiveness. ^_^ But from the junk I've seen in the graveyards, sleeping should be well down the list of upsetting things that occur there.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As @nickyboy pointed out, the grave of somebody can mean a lot to relatives. I know some people who would be extremely upset to find that a stranger had been using their mothers's grave as a convenient free bed. It's a simple matter of good manners really.

Last edited:
I've slept in a graveyard before & would consider doing it again. I personally wouldn't sleep on top of an actual grave though; I personally would feel uncomfortable & disrespectful doing that.

I don't know what graveyards are like all over Spain but around here (Nerja) there tend not to be any graves for you could sleep on. The bodies are placed inside a hole in a large wall and then bricked up. So you could sleep near the graves on the ground but not on them. Also, someone said there's always water. That might be true in France, but I was told be an elderly Spanish lady that in Spain plastic flowers are for graves, and they don't need water. But maybe mourners add real flower too. And often there's no church attached to the graveyard, so you wouldn't get attacked by an early morning priest. Enjoy the ride!

Top Bottom