Sleeping in graveyards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry, but this has to be said: bloody British abroad :tongue:
I have been brought up in a small seaside town in Italy, no wonder we all considered tourists a bit dimwitted, even though they were our living.
Not enough to make yourselves ill by sunbathing at midday, causing havoc by roaming the streets drunk, breaking the heart of handsome beach boys :laugh: now you want to camp in a cemetery??
Don't do it: there are actually laws against it, it's also disrespectful to say the least.
There is a deep felt custom of tending graves in Mediterranean countries, you will anger the locals if you get found out.
@Brandane what's with the avatar? :dry:

Yes, i wouldn't do it in italy for sure. Those sweet little old ladies endlessly cleaning and dusting flowers could, i am sure, turn savage if they discovered anyone doing such a thing. The graveyards i have seen in sardinia (i don't know about spain) also in any case look very well secured/hard to get into without minor mountaineering skills. Especially with a bike. BUT, since the graveyards are entirely separate from the churches, i have very often thought of bivvying in the grounds of those churches. I see no harm in that as long as you arrive late/leave early and leave no mess. They virtually all have water. Many of those churches are not entirely spiritual anyway - once a year the locals descend (and by car of course) to stuff themselves with food and have an allmighty piss-up - well as close as italians ever get to such a thing. Many of those sardinian churches are also, usefully, in the middle of nowhere.

Ps pat, nice polite response of yours.

+1 Although it was more 'passed out in' than intentionally slept there.

:smile: pat's worst ideas of brits confirmed :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
i have very often thought of bivvying in the grounds of those churches. I see no harm in that as long as you arrive late/leave early and leave no mess.
I see no problem with that: don't think the priest would object either, one of the catholic church's mission statements is to house the homeless :smile:

:smile: pat's worst ideas of brits confirmed :smile:
For my sins, I do work in the licensing trade :laugh:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As @nickyboy pointed out, the grave of somebody can mean a lot to relatives. I know some people who would be extremely upset to find that a stranger had been using their mothers's grave as a convenient free bed. It's a simple matter of good manners really.

Yep. Leaving to one one side religion, which happens to coincide with the country you are visiting, if I found the grave of my father and one of my sisters being used as a bed, I am not sure where that would lead to, if I, or even my eldest daughter, discovered the culprit.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As @nickyboy pointed out, the grave of somebody can mean a lot to relatives. I know some people who would be extremely upset to find that a stranger had been using their mothers's grave as a convenient free bed. It's a simple matter of good manners really.

Yep. Leaving to one one side religion, which happens to coincide with the country you are visiting, if I found the grave of my father and one of my sisters being used as a bed, I am not sure where that would lead to, if I, or even my eldest daughter, discovered the culprit.

RedRider

Pulling through
Not directly relevant but I know someone who spent several years living and sleeping rough mainly in one London graveyard although he toured a lot of them over a decade or so.
One time he was woken from slumber in Highgate Cemetery by a group of Chinese Communist Party members who were he says most excited to find this living, drinking example of the failures of capitalism and he earned quite a bit of shrapnel posing for pictures next to the grave of Karl Marx.

Sometimes for a bit more privacy he'd scale churches and sleep atop them but this could lead to strange visions which inspired a song...

" Sleeping upon a church roof among the gargoyles I had a dream:
"My body took on the features of the stone creatures that slept with me.
"So I unfurled my petrified wings and uncurled my new stone claws,
" And my head was a crown-ed with a twisting pair of horns!"

Just sayin', not wanting to put you off or anything...

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I'd advise against sleeping on top of a grave at night in hi-vis clothing, just in case someone sees you getting up for a leak in the night and thinks that you've risen from the grave. I can see the local headlines now...

"Zombie Cyclist with British Accent Back from the Dead"

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Over 'ere, would make things seem quite posh.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't know what graveyards are like all over Spain but around here (Nerja) there tend not to be any graves for you could sleep on. The bodies are placed inside a hole in a large wall and then bricked up. So you could sleep near the graves on the ground but not on them.
If he took a hammer and a masonry chisel he could enter a very cosy little spot and snuggle up. The bed might not have been aired recently, but it will be cheap.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm thinking a lot of people are reading too much into this.

Sleeping in a cemetary doesn't mean fluffing a pillow on the headstone at night and bashing one out on the flowers in the morning.

That would be *insane*.

The op is talking about sleeping *within the grounds* of a cemetary. Ie hitching a hammock on the yew trees, bivouacing on the porch etc.

This is not Evil Dead III.

classic33

Leg End Member

Sleeping in a cemetary doesn't mean fluffing a pillow on the headstone at night and bashing one out on the flowers in the morning.

That would be *insane*.

The op is talking about sleeping *within the grounds* of a cemetary. Ie hitching a hammock on the yew trees, bivouacing on the porch etc.

You have read the opening post?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

That would be *insane*.

I have limited knowledge of Spanish cemeteries/graveyards. The ones that I have seen in the countryside are very compact and crowded, and are enclosed closely by walls and an iron gate. Leafy parks where you can pitch a tent, they are not.

Top Bottom