Slight change of direction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Ok so l know that all my bikes are steel and nothing will take away my enthusiasm not to say obsession with them but recently l have been wondering what it would be like to ride a modern road bike .
To cut a long story short l have recently seen an advert for this tasty looking machine and to make it even more attractive (to me anyway) it is a Bianchi.
Would anyone with a cooler head than me, like to share their opinion ?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bianchi-Via-Nirone-7-Xenon-2017-Road-Bike_96848.htm

GuyBoden

Guru
My advice would be to test ride a quality carbon bike from a shop, make it part of a day out.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
A nice looking bike but not cheap for what is really an entry level specc'd bike. At £899 you could be having a decent specc'd Carbon bike. Look at the Planet X pro Carbon or what is on offer at Ribble.
Thanks for that, l won't rush into anything because this really is a leap into the unknown for me .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
@woodbutcher i personally think you are paying for the name on that and like @Spiderweb & @GuyBoden says look at the Ribble or Dolan offerings i know you are not uk based so not easy to try before you buy .
Yes it is a bit of a problem not having a good bike shop nearby but l am sure there must be one in Cahors or Toulouse so l will do some research.
Of course l may decide that it isn't worth the effort and put the cash towards a proper (steel) Bianchi :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You probably have a decathlon near you, their B'twin bikes are worth considering.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-560-cf-carbon-road-bike-tiagra-id_8377758.html
That looks like a really good deal, l will go to Decathlon in Toulouse and check it out in the flesh. Thanks for the suggestion .

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't have a carbon bike in the stable, but am often tempted. Every year I am on Majorca for a break. I always hire a carbon bike for a week. They are very nice. However, last time out, I was hammering down a road sat on the wheel of some fancy team or other [I do that a lot] and thought to myself. Y'know this is no better than my Harry Hall at home.
Plus how many times a year in the UK do you get to use a bike without Mudguards. It is often raining, going to rain or been raining with wet roads and puddles. Yesterday I did 88 miles in rain that never stopped. I have a nice, very light,rare Raleigh 853 tubed team bike with tight clearances and nowhere to fit a mudguard. Joy to ride but does not get out much.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my opinion, but i think tyres make a bigger difference than frame material both in comfort and speed,newer bikes have a few more gears and are a bit lighter but tbh for me any way its still the same old power plant and i am as happy cycling on an old bike with a steel frame as i am on a carbon , alloy or titanium framed bike.
More modern bikes may be a bit faster but for me theres very little in it and perhaps i like steel best.

Drago

Legendary Member
It does seem rather expensive for a moderate spec Taiwanese alloy frame. Problem is, that's the price of being able to say you own the B word brand, and for many that alone justifies it.

If you love all things Bianchi then to for it. If you're after maximum edge for minimum wedge then look elsewhere.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Only my opinion, but i think tyres make a bigger difference than frame material both in comfort and speed,newer bikes have a few more gears and are a bit lighter but tbh for me any way its still the same old power plant and i am as happy cycling on an old bike with a steel frame as i am on a carbon , alloy or titanium framed bike.
More modern bikes may be a bit faster but for me theres very little in it and perhaps i like steel best.
I think you have put your finger on it because l am just happy being out on the bike and for me the one l get on best with is my Faggin, probably because l have spent a lot of time (enjoyably) getting the fit to my liking . The modern bike thing is just curiosity on my part .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It does seem rather expensive for a moderate spec Taiwanese alloy frame. Problem is, that's the price of being able to say you own the B word brand, and for many that alone justifies it.

If you love all things Bianchi then to for it. If you're after maximum edge for minimum wedge then look elsewhere.
Yes l do lust after a Bianchi but truth to tell, l would rather have a steel one. I just would like to have a modern bike for the hell of it and l don't care if it is carbon or alloy so l will look around for the the biggest bang for my buck. Trek looks good as do B-Twin so l'll have fun deciding.

Top Bottom