Slight Wheel Upgrade Advice (2016 Giant Propel)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I am getting a 2016 Giant Propel this weekend but the owner is fitting the original supplied Giant PA2? wheelset as he's already sold the Mavic Cosmic's that he had on the bike. He did advise that whilst the PA2's are lightly used a upgraded wheel-set will make a difference on this bike.

Whilst I am no athlete or pretend to be, and not looking to shave every millisecond off my leisure rides, I'd like to get a set of such wheels to just enhance the bike ever so slightly so I'd appreciate help from those of you who run these and / or have knowledge of such wheel sets. I do not want deep section 60mm aero's, but anything like the Cosmic Pro's (40mm ish I guess is fine).

Are used Mavic Comsic Pro SLS (rim brake version) worth £400 on the used market considering its hard to tell (in my opinion) truly what condition they are in is unless you can ride them? (how can you realistically rock up on sellers door, check the true-ness of the wheels, spokes, bearings etc.. you pretty much buy on what you see right?).

Is there anything else that is worth considering second hand or new that is well built but not a bank breaker. (I hear good things about Shimano Durace, Fulcrum Quattro and ProLite).

He did advise that whilst the PA2's are lightly used a upgraded wheel-set will make a difference on this bike

Give them a try before splashing out, your opinion could well be different

Stompier

As above - I would ride the wheels you've got first. You will probably find they are perfectly adequate for your purposes.

Reactions: DSK

13 rider

Guru
Another vote for riding the wheels before committing to an upgrade . I have 2 giant bikes and run the stock wheels that came with them they don't out rubbish wheels on their bikes but is worth blowing £400 ? on an upgrade . I personally wouldn't buy secondhand rim brake wheels unless they had literally come off a new bike due to rim wear

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Thank you, this is the expertise I was looking for to see if old wheels are really worth such an amount or if its better to spend double and get new.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you, this is the expertise I was looking for to see if old wheels are really worth such an amount or if its better to spend double and get new.
You can get plenty of decent new wheels for £400 or less. But it’s not necessary

Levo-Lon

Guru
If your thinking of spending £400

Get some Hunt wheels, excellent wheels and light too and less money

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

LOL

I got a very decent deal on the bike but, I do need a set of wheels as there is a Shimano R500 on the front and an original PA2 on the rear. I do not do odd bod wheels.

49218369941_56d2aaed8e_z.jpg

So I am looking for either a Giant PA2 or, modest upgrade.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

UPDATE

After some disappointments with sellers with used sets of wheels, not bothering to reply or some not looking, I was quite impressed with the reviews and comments on ProLite A42 wheels. So I got a set of ProLite A42W, after contacting Giant, who confirmed that that 2017 Giant Propel should be able to handle 19mm internal rim width wheels shod with 25C tyres (dependent on tyre).

Before

After
49268858876_aa7235724d_z.jpg

Looks great in my opinion with the 42mm depth and all alloy construction.

Giant confirmed that 2014-2016 model did have clearance issues but the 2017 should be fine with 25 tyres but probably with the exception of those known to run bigger like continental tyres. Intense googling revealed inconclusive answers as to what tyres/wheel combinations are suitable for this model with many stating that only the true 25C would work at best........

Definitive - 2017 Giant Propel can take Continental Gatorskin 25mm tyres with ease on 19mm rims!

FRONT
49269056877_2d772879fd_z.jpg

49268398233_1fc0de73e7_z.jpg

49269056377_284c81b027_z.jpg

REAR
49268398358_b9b6a11588_z.jpg

49269057007_86b2ae32f7_z.jpg

49268397823_53b1f97e21_z.jpg

Thanks to the lovely weather I have not ridden these wheels yet but, they attracted a lot of interest at the shop by other customers who were doing wheel swaps as well. These spin forever compared to the original PA2.

Attachments

• 49218369941_56d2aaed8e_z.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Weight is around 1850 but don't feel heavy or any heavier than what I removed. Other owners have said similar with some stating that you notice it on spin up compared to stuff that weighs around 1300/1400 p/set but, these roll with ease once moving making it that much easier to maintain speeds on the flats/descents which is fine for me.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi @DSK coming here from your 'problems with Prolite 42 wheels' and 'don't wash bearings, water gets through the seals' threads. And appreciated the superb pics.
Confess surprise that you run Gatorskins on your flashy fast wheels on a super aero bike when they're crying out for GP5000s (@25) which come up about the spec width, btw.

Top Bottom