Slippery Decking

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Anyone got any experience of slippery decking, we're thinking of putting it down around the back of the house but MrsP is concerned it will be slippery in the wet. The grooves will be at right angle to the direction we'll be walking if that makes sense.

stumpy66

Veteran
Yeah it is especially when the frost is around or even a dusting of snow

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have decking and yes, it get slippery in wet conditions or if there is snow. There are treatments you can buy to stop algae making it slippery. Simply spray it on and thats it. Does quite a good job of stopping it. Can't rememner what its called though.

U

User33236

We have decking outside the front of the home we are temporarily renting. It’s quite treacherous when wet especially with cycle shoes on.

Looks nice but will be a no no when we buy again.

Brandane

Legendary Member
There are treatments you can buy to stop algae making it slippery. Simply spray it on and thats it. Does quite a good job of stopping it. Can't rememner what its called though.
I haven't tried it, but I have heard it said that good old fashioned (but not cheap) Jeyes fluid will kill the algae causing slipperiness . I see from their website that they do a specific product for decking. The cynic in me tells me that's probably a re-packaged, higher priced version of the same product.

welsh dragon

Ah. Never heard of that, but im sure that isn't what the one we use is called, then again, there are probably more than 1 or 2 makes.

welsh dragon

Ah. Never heard of that, but im sure that isn't what the one we use is called, then again, there are probably more than 1 or 2 makes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anyone got any experience of slippery decking, we're thinking of putting it down around the back of the house but MrsP is concerned it will be slippery in the wet. The grooves will be at right angle to the direction we'll be walking if that makes sense.
It is EXTREMELY slippery when wet.

I stayed at a holiday chalet in Scotland a couple of years ago and almost broke my neck after slipping when trying to wheel my bike across decking at the side of it.

I have just stayed at a holiday chalet in Devon and almost broke my neck after slipping when trying to wheel my bike across decking at the side of it ...

IIRC @Accy cyclist broke his hip after slipping on wet decking?

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 4971553, member: 9609"]Chicken Wire - and you nail it on.[/QUOTE]

We used that in the past, but it looks awful, and if it snows, it isn't very effective IMHO.

Top Bottom