Slippery Decking

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
golf buggy.jpg

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
A nature reserve near me has a walkway across a lake surfaced with decking. Brilliant fun to cycle on. Like an ice rink for bikes, surrounded by ducks.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It is EXTREMELY slippery when wet.

I stayed at a holiday chalet in Scotland a couple of years ago and almost broke my neck after slipping when trying to wheel my bike across decking at the side of it.

I have just stayed at a holiday chalet in Devon and almost broke my neck after slipping when trying to wheel my bike across decking at the side of it ...

IIRC @Accy cyclist broke his hip after slipping on wet decking?
I had some near misses on wet and slippery decking when window cleaning. It's not too bad if it's placed where it gets some sun,but if it's in a shaded place it attracts green mould and becomes dangerous when wet.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Were you walking across it or along it?
Er, (consults holiday photos) ... In the case of Devon, along it, as shown by the red arrow in this picture.

Slippery decking.jpg

The Scottish decking had a decking ramp leading up to the main flat area. The site owners obviously knew that there was a problem because they had put anti-slip pads on the ramp, so you just slipped over when you walked out onto the flat area instead! :whistle: (I can't remember which direction that the decking went there and I haven't got any pictures of it.)

I was wearing mountain bike SPD shoes which have aggressive tread made of a firm material. It is great for grip on soil, dry tarmac and so on. Bloody lethal on wet decking though. Oh, and on damp laminate floors too - I was rolling my bike across my sister's kitchen this morning and spilt water on the floor when I bashed her dog's water bowl. Same result - my feet went from under me and I almost ended up in a heap with a bike on top of me! (I was quite impressed by how quickly a Border Terrier can move when it realises that 16 stone of man and metal is about to land on top of it! :laugh:)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I would recommend nailing in carpet grips every 100 mm or so. Makes a mess of your plimsoles but you won't slip.
IMG_0920.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Decking - how 1990's. Well they do say that things come back into fashion every 30 years or so. Well done being ahead of the curve. :whistle:
Thank You
I would recommend nailing in carpet grips every 100 mm or so. Makes a mess of your plimsoles but you won't slip.
View attachment 375460
Thank You
The direction of the grooves makes absolutely no difference. It is super slippery.
Once again I Thank You

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have a lot of decking which can be a problem in winter. I jet wash it and that usually solves the issue which is the green algae stuff. Takes me about an hour to do it all, but lasts for ages.

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't tried it, but I have heard it said that good old fashioned (but not cheap) Jeyes fluid will kill the algae causing slipperiness . I see from their website that they do a specific product for decking. The cynic in me tells me that's probably a re-packaged, higher priced version of the same product.
Cynic would be right.

Top Bottom