slow cooker Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
In my experience it does. It also saves on having to use things like gravy browning or Marmite xx( to add colour.

try a little balsamic vinegar. yeah i lughed when it was suggested but it adds a little colour and lifts the flavours of everything.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
[QUOTE 4089727, member: 259"]I'm sure all the serious pressure cookerists are having a good laugh at this thread. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

This is a very serious discussion you know. To brown or not to brown. And what to do with your onions :laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
try a little balsamic vinegar. yeah i lughed when it was suggested but it adds a little colour and lifts the flavours of everything.

I add balsamic to many things, as you say it adds colour and flavour. Bolognese is lifted greatly with a splash of balsamic and pinch of sugar.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4089727, member: 259"]I'm sure all the serious pressure cookerists are having a good laugh at this thread. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Beavuse they of course know that the maillard reaction aka the browning reaction is enhanced by the high temperature of pressure cooking.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the risk of stating the obvious, if your good lady can't onions, then I'd not put onion in at all. If an onion has been slow-cooked then much of the onion-ness will have been extracted into the stew, most likely including the component that disagrees with her. In any case onions cooked a long time can entirely "dissovle" - which is delicious, but no use to someone they disagree with.

So far in my Christmas slow cooker I have cooked...

1. Chilli Con Carne. = 9/10
2. Shepherds Pie = 3/10 (I put too much liquid in)
3. Pork in Cider = 6/10 (bit bland).

On all 3 occasions I browned the meat first.
Belly strips with a homemade Bbq sauce are luuuuvely.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So far in my Christmas slow cooker I have cooked...

1. Chilli Con Carne. = 9/10
2. Shepherds Pie = 3/10 (I put too much liquid in)
3. Pork in Cider = 6/10 (bit bland).

On all 3 occasions I browned the meat first.

I must admit, I prefer making casseroles and putting it in the oven rather than using a slow cooker.

snorri

Legendary Member
- which is delicious, but no use to someone they disagree with.
Thank you for that consideration:smile:.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well its all done and cooking..
i did brown the beef,and the veg a little..
onion halved ...if it tastes as go8d as it smells ill be very happy...
my good lady is a very faddy eater..pita actually..but i keep trying to get her away from crappy suggery foods...ie bolli has to be Dolmio ..its ok but not as healthy as a made up sauce as you know whats in it..

it looks alright..

20160106_105223.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well its all done and cooking..
i did brown the beef,and the veg a little..
onion halved ...if it tastes as go8d as it smells ill be very happy...
my good lady is a very faddy eater..pita actually..but i keep trying to get her away from crappy suggery foods...ie bolli has to be Dolmio ..its ok but not as healthy as a made up sauce as you know whats in it..

it looks alright..

View attachment 115047
Be aware that you'll be salivating from about half 3 onwards, it drives Maz mad when I have ours on and she keeps saying "when's it ready" and "can we eat a bit earlier than that" :laugh:

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
At the risk of stating the obvious, if your good lady can't onions, then I'd not put onion in at all. If an onion has been slow-cooked then much of the onion-ness will have been extracted into the stew, most likely including the component that disagrees with her. In any case onions cooked a long time can entirely "dissovle" - which is delicious, but no use to someone they disagree with.

its the skins that cause her probs @Profpointy .IBS..she cant eat tomatoes with skin on or grapes even peas..but Cake is fine lol

Top Bottom