slow cooker Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hmmm i think im going to go for dumplings...

suet or the packet mix...or the butter instead of suet method..
i may just try the pre mix today..

ScotiaLass

Guru
try a little balsamic vinegar. yeah i lughed when it was suggested but it adds a little colour and lifts the flavours of everything.
I use white wine vinegar....works lovely with beef :smile:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I usually cook in the oven @welsh dragon ,but as we bought one i thought id try 7t..
it was only £20 in Sainsbury sale down from 40..i like the size of the cooking capacity..make a few days food for the cold weather..
Great for sticking in a whole chicken, rub with some herbs/garlic, whatever you fancy and leave.
The chicken is so tender and full of flavour ad you get lots of meals out of it too :smile:

Fubar

Guru
So far in my Christmas slow cooker I have cooked...

1. Chilli Con Carne. = 9/10
2. Shepherds Pie = 3/10 (I put too much liquid in)
3. Pork in Cider = 6/10 (bit bland).

On all 3 occasions I browned the meat first.

I'm sure I've seen something on pork being boiled in water first for hours (looks rank when it comes out) then roasted and covered in sauce etc - it looked Nom Nom when done!

PK99

Legendary Member
I must admit, I prefer making casseroles and putting it in the oven rather than using a slow cooker.

me too.
Brown stewing beef in casserole, add onions and veg, continue browsing add stock/wine, pop in oven @80/100C and head out to work.

Hot pot,
Cassoulet
Casseroles
or, getting poncy, Gigot de Sept Heures

Are all traditional dishes cooked all day from long before the Slow cooker was invented.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
me too.
Brown stewing beef in casserole, add onions and veg, continue browsing add stock/wine, pop in oven @80/100C and head out to work.

Hot pot,
Cassoulet
Casseroles
or, getting poncy, Gigot de Sept Heures

Are all traditional dishes cooked all day from long before the Slow cooker was invented.
So what is the point of a slow-cooker (other than the convenience of cooking while you're out at work - not a big issue if you work from home)? (Speaking as someone who got given one for Christmas.)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So what is the point of a slow-cooker (other than the convenience of cooking while you're out at work - not a big issue if you work from home)? (Speaking as someone who got given one for Christmas.)

Thats it exactly. Its a convenient way to cook a meal slowly over many hours safely while you are at work, and of course it costs less to use than a conventional oven. But being at home, I prefer casseroles in an oven.. somehow I just think they taste better. I can cook them at a slightly higher temp than slow cookers, and for me, the flavours are better as well. Just a personal thing. I have no doubt some prefer slow cookers.

PK99

Legendary Member

I've never really understood, other that perhaps running cost?

Tim Hall

On the casserole front, the other day I did baked beans (start with dried haricot beans and work from there) with belly pork. Gorgeous so it was. Especially for those of us who like a bit of fat on their meat.

Yep we use it all the time and only as a way of a decent meal if out all day. If in we use conventional cooking.

Top Bottom