Slowing down fixed gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi guys -

recently got hold of a cheap ss with a flip flop hub- 44x18 gearing- it was set up as a single speed and I flipped the wheel into fixed - removed a few chain links to get rid of the slack but have found the pedals only move forward and I can't pedal backwards on it to control speed and trackstand etc. Normally ride a fast road bike- which was stolen and am waiting for the insurance to come through. Am finding the fact that the pedals only go forward a little weird; Have to control the speed of the bike through brakes - one for front and another for back wheel. So a very odd set up.

Any suggested remedies?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I don't understand.

What happens when you pedal backwards? Or try to resist the pedals pushing your feet round?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
ha - I thought it was me - the pedals will continue to go round - it's impossible to pedal backwards and the only way I can slow the pedals down is through braking- I'm good at high rpm so that's not the issue- I can only push forward not backwards.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
When you're riding the bike, the only way to actually rotate the pedals backwards is if you're actually moving backwards (neat trick if you can do it!).

You actually slow the bike down (without using brakes) only by resisting the pedals as they try to push your feet round. Or you can use the brakes, of course.

I think we understand each other now?

May I respectfully suggest you gain some experience of using your fixie off the road before you dive in among the traffic? If you're not used to fixed, you could get some nasty surprises. Also browse the other threads in this section for more hints.

Top Bottom