Slowing down now its getting colder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Im relatively new to cycling seriously, compared to some of you good fellow members. Its only been three years that I've got back in the saddle properly again. So far this year I've clocked up around 5000 miles, and the last 2 years gone I've noticed that my speed really drops off during the cold dark winter months.
Throughout the summer my average usually hovers around 17.5 but the last couple of weeks its gradually decreased to around 16.2 on the same routes.
Granted it's a little disheartening but i don't think its down to lack of fitness. I think cycling in the dark has had a negative impact. You become more cautious about traffic conditions and concentrate more on scanning the roads for pot holes etc that seem to come out of no where from the light of your bike light.
The cold is also another key factor to.
The last few evenings the temperature has dropped to freezing point on my rides. Winter cycling clothing is great at keeping you warm but it can still feel restrictive compared to summer clothing. Saying that though i think you're muscles still don't get to there ideal temperature when it's cold outside on the bike.
Another more technological reason I'm putting my slower pace down to, is that cold air is more denser.
Dense cold air means more wind resistance to push my feebly powered legs through. It almost feels like im riding through treacle when its cold
Does it matter though in the grand scheme of things.
Not in the slightest. This time of year its more about just getting the miles in under the belt and avoid becoming a couch potato in front of the tv. After a days work of computer screens and telephone calls its great to escape the artificial life of work, and escape for an hour or so and take in the natural beauty of countryside
All the very best,
Johnny

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry about it... Dark also slows you down.

I was 10 minutes slower on Monday on my usual loop as it was dark and off road (plus not fully recovered from the lurgy).

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's a good point @C R
I've just been reading on the web that rolling resistance in tyres increases with the colder weather. Even though our speeds are slow compared to top end cyclists, we still non the less are cycling to our physical limits and even for us mere mortals the combination of more dense air, slightly greater rolling resistance and concentrating on reading the road conditions all combines to a slower pace👍👍

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I always lose about 2 to 3 miles an hour in winter, despite actually riding more. I am convinced it is my restrictive bib longs, but it could of course be a combination of factors including, heavier, muduarded winter bike without my deep carbon wheels, wet roads,, worry about cornering, the dark dense air and most of all a little loss of the joie de vivre.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think muscles have winter specific slowdowns in cold weather, a little harder to get the same effort from muscles in cold than in warm air. I tend to cycle during the day in winter, and cannot blame the dark for it, yet I also have slower times in winter weather. I may get snow tomorrow, BTW.

C R

Guru
I use the same bike with the same set up all year round as I only have one bike, so it definitely is the weather conditions.

Hi.
Im relatively new to cycling seriously, compared to some of you good fellow members. Its only been three years that I've got back in the saddle properly again. So far this year I've clocked up around 5000 miles, and the last 2 years gone I've noticed that my speed really drops off during the cold dark winter months.
Throughout the summer my average usually hovers around 17.5 but the last couple of weeks its gradually decreased to around 16.2 on the same routes.

If I managed 5000 miles a year and averaged 16.2 mph anytime I'd be celebrating...

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I suppose it depends on what kind of road's you cycle on though. If there open with virtually no junctions or traffic lights etc, it's easily possible. Stop start cycling through cities or along tow paths would no doubt be alot harder for sure👍

Top Bottom