Slowing down now its getting colder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good effort DoggyT What did you use to pull that data together?
Ridewithgps list of rides put into excel.

Looking at my +25 miles rides I am getting faster. Probably because I've got fitter but it seems have been more flat the growth as it's got colder.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
There is definitely a drop off in speed, i’ve Noticed it every year by about 1-2 mph, I think it’s due to wearing more clothing, denser air & a natural cautious attitude to to wet & leaf strewn roads, conversely I found my speed rose 1-2 mph in the Poitou-Charente region of France due to warm temperatures & I think the roads were less draggy & less hilly then West Yorkshire

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's day length. You're an animal and you don't develop as much power in winter, even if you try to ride just as much. There is one sure-fire way to avoid the drop-off...winter in the southern hemisphere.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I have to slow down in the winter. Plenty of layers means in generally rather toasty at the end of the commute, and of course all the old dears at work insist in having the radiators turned up. Wish they would bloomin well retire.

Some very interesting remarks and guess all true one way or another. I have been keeping records of my rides for many years and the last 18 months including weather conditions as well. Cold does have an effect on performance no doubt, bit by bit (marginal losses) and so does wind speed, perhaps to a lesser extent. Although it is great to have a tail wind if it is a fairly windy day, you soon loose any advantages once you hit the head wind. Head out, tail home always a good one and hope the average is good, not always and worse when it is cold out. I tend not to look at my average speed whilst out, only when I get back. I felt I had a good ride this morning, the effort went in, had a smile on my face, it was`nt particularly cold or windy 11mph wind 11 degrees temp, yet my average was down, not by much but down nevertheless. It is getting out that is important and staying safe.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I really think the darkness and cold nights really slow me down. Today i did a 30 mile ride. The weather was warmer than of the last few evening rides. +8 degrees compared to +1 rides
My average today jumped to 17.6 compared to the 16 mph i was doing in the cold weather

Top Bottom