Slowly turning into a veggie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and Happy new year!!
The last couple of years gone my diet has in all fairness taken a turn for the worst. Since being single after many years of marriage, im ashamed to say my diet has mainly consisted of junk food.With the many many miles of cycling though, it has fortunately put my weight into a downward direction and have by a"miracle" lost around 3 stone and now look quite lean.
The bad diet thing though is not purely down to me just loving junk food. It's been more down to life style. Long hours at work combined with the commute ,and then sorting out the household chores and wanting to get out cycling at every opportunity has made me somewhat lazy in cooking and preparing proper meals. Slowly over the last few months of this ,I've really started to take a dislike to junk food and I'm starting think more about what I eat. I really gone off eating meat and have slowly turned into a veggie. Packet ham nowadays in my opinion mainly tastes disgusting. Whatever brand i would buy,i would just find it tastless and slimey. Ive been finding this with lots of processed meat product's lately. Im sure food products never tasted this bad years ago. Since giving up meat i have noticed a huge difference in my health. More regular (toilet wise) and feeling alot less bloated.
Energy levels and general well being are so much better and also feel so much better in my cycling. I'm going to keep this new regime up as its really having a positive affect and hopefully in pushing me further in my cycling goals of 2019.
:bicycle::bicycle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great news but you feel better because you're eating more vegetables not because you're eating less meat.

Packet ham is a synthetic product made in a factory and loaded with preservatives so hardly a good example. Give up processed meat, go to a proper butcher and buy some real meat. You'll need the protein to repair muscle damage as you cycle more. Alternatively eat more eggs and fish.

Bloating is often caused by milk and carbohydrates in more mature people as they produce less of the enzymes required for digestion of those foods.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
Go for it OP!

I have not touched meat since visiting an abattoir (slaughterhouse) in my early 20's with work, a similar visit should be compulsory for all schoochildren IMO. At 56 I am in as good shape as I was at 26, and I have never had one day off work "ill". I am not against meat eating per se although that life has long gone for me, but as @Globalti says, at least with a good local butcher you know what is going in your gob.

What on earth are folk eating? They haven't a clue but my guess is that the "meat" will prove to be very bad for them.

Hi and Happy new year!!
The last couple of years gone my diet has in all fairness taken a turn for the worst. Since being single after many years of marriage, im ashamed to say my diet has mainly consisted of junk food.With the many many miles of cycling though, it has fortunately put my weight into a downward direction and have by a"miracle" lost around 3 stone and now look quite lean.
The bad diet thing though is not purely down to me just loving junk food. It's been more down to life style. Long hours at work combined with the commute ,and then sorting out the household chores and wanting to get out cycling at every opportunity has made me somewhat lazy in cooking and preparing proper meals. Slowly over the last few months of this ,I've really started to take a dislike to junk food and I'm starting think more about what I eat. I really gone off eating meat and have slowly turned into a veggie. Packet ham nowadays in my opinion mainly tastes disgusting. Whatever brand i would buy,i would just find it tastless and slimey. Ive been finding this with lots of processed meat product's lately. Im sure food products never tasted this bad years ago. Since giving up meat i have noticed a huge difference in my health. More regular (toilet wise) and feeling alot less bloated.
Energy levels and general well being are so much better and also feel so much better in my cycling. I'm going to keep this new regime up as its really having a positive affect and hopefully in pushing me further in my cycling goals of 2019.
:bicycle::bicycle:
Molly Bloom! I've missed you

Levo-Lon

Guru
Having just had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and a roast beef lunch planned " new yr treat"for later i really couldn't go full veggie.
I adore greens and most things from the veg & fruit family.

I really need to get dairy out of my diet and cut the carbs.
Milk is a tough one with my love of muesli and grapes for brekkie.
It's rather difficult to cut out processed food these days..

D

Deleted member 26715

I read the title & thought you like me are declining into senility my memory certainly isn't what it used to be, I may soon have to resort to writing things down.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I read the title & thought you like me are declining into senility my memory certainly isn't what it used to be, I may soon have to resort to writing things down.

i sat with one of the residents at work yesterday for half an hour telling her in the simplest terms i could on how to use her cordless phone..i failed , and reconnected her old bt corded one.
kids bought it for her to make life easier..

so a shopping list will help,and remember to write down where you live.

galaxy

Veteran
I’m not a Veggie but now more regulate what we we eat. Occasionally there’s some process food due to Circumstances.
Up the road from us there’s a chicken farm. I challenge anyone to go to 1. The smell is horrendous alone. The Poultry leaves at 12 weeks old. Hardly any feathers. Never seen daylight and force fed.
We buy our chicken breast from a local butcher. We know exactly where it’s come from. Breast almost 3x the size. Texture is so different.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I visited an abattoir as a kid, and while it didn't put me off meat at the time, I think what I saw stuck with me. I'm not sure it's necessary but perhaps a visit for many folks would open their eyes. There's such a disconnect between that plastic wrapped piece of meat on a foam tray and how it's actually got there for most consumers. I have to think it's always a good idea to be educated or at least be aware of what happens to get it there to you. I even wonder if some people actually really realize that piece of meat started from an animal somewhere, or you just get used to it being a piece of food you pick up from the supermarket.

While I think there's more chance in the commercial meat food chain to include some dubious stuff, I also think there's a good chance with veggies too. I think at a minimum washing stuff (any stuff!) is always a good idea.

Go for it OP!

I have not touched meat since visiting an abattoir (slaughterhouse) in my early 20's with work, a similar visit should be compulsory for all schoochildren IMO. At 56 I am in as good shape as I was at 26, and I have never had one day off work "ill". I am not against meat eating per se although that life has long gone for me, but as @Globalti says, at least with a good local butcher you know what is going in your gob.

What on earth are folk eating? They haven't a clue but my guess is that the "meat" will prove to be very bad for them.

D

Deleted member 26715

I remember being on holiday at a working farm somewhere near Poole our son at the time was 4-5 when asked where milk come from said Tesco's

classic33

Leg End Member
I visited an abattoir as a kid, and while it didn't put me off meat at the time, I think what I saw stuck with me. I'm not sure it's necessary but perhaps a visit for many folks would open their eyes. There's such a disconnect between that plastic wrapped piece of meat on a foam tray and how it's actually got there for most consumers. I have to think it's always a good idea to be educated or at least be aware of what happens to get it there to you. I even wonder if some people actually really realize that piece of meat started from an animal somewhere, or you just get used to it being a piece of food you pick up from the supermarket.

While I think there's more chance in the commercial meat food chain to include some dubious stuff, I also think there's a good chance with veggies too. I think at a minimum washing stuff (any stuff!) is always a good idea.
Having helped one into this world, my arm was longer, and then seeing it on the plate at dinner a few years later, I've few misconceptions on where it actually came from.

538e51804bb65.image.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just had a wonderful roast beef dinner, i had a load of Kale Brussels and carrots.
Beef gravy with Aberdeen Angus joint..

Diet and a new food regime starts weds..i didnt say tomorrow as tomorrow never comes!!

Top Bottom