Small but annoying front derailleur adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Greetings :biggrin:
Front derailleur (shomano sora :blush: ) ... big chainwheel at front, smallest cog at rear... recently began rubbing (chain against cage) when in this combo... there is no barrel adjuster (I've checked, double checked ... I would have triple-checked, but it's only a double :smile: ) ... high gear screw adjust do you reckon? Don't want to mess things up as a) I'm a numpty and :biggrin: some big rides coming up and haven't got time to go to bike shop :smile:

Mark_Robson

It will be cable stretch. Try manually pulling the cable to see if the front mech moves outwards anymore, if it does then the screw adjustment is fine. If you do adjust the screw you may cause the chain to jump off the big chainring and onto the crank.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks Mark. If cable stretched, tighten it at the derailleur end?
There's no prob changing up or down in any gears, just this rubbing thing

redjedi

Über Member
If you haven't got any in-line cable adjusters then you'll need to do it an the derailleur end (make sure to shift onto the small chainring first).

Fit some barrel adjusters next time you do a service/clean and make life easier for yourself next time.

oops sorry it's Fnaar.

then you can give yourself a little tweak any time you feel like it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
redjedi said:
If you haven't got any in-line cable adjusters then you'll need to do it an the derailleur end (make sure to shift onto the small chainring first).

Fit some barrel adjusters next time you do a service/clean and make life easier for yourself next time.

oops sorry it's Fnaar.

then you can give yourself a little tweak any time you feel like it :thumbsup:

:biggrin: Thanks folks.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm sure you've looked carefully, but my old Sora clad bike has downtube adjusters on the ...errrr downtube :blush::biggrin::biggrin:
Not the conventional ones, they were black plastic with like a paddle as an adjuster. I only ask cos it was ages before i realised they actually were adjusters :biggrin::blush:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
gbb said:
I'm sure you've looked carefully, but my old Sora clad bike has downtube adjusters on the ...errrr downtube :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Not the conventional ones, they were black plastic with like a paddle as an adjuster. I only ask cos it was ages before i realised they actually were adjusters :sad::blush:

Thanks gbb... I know the things you mean, but no, there aren't any. Might get time to 'tweak my set up' tomorrow... B)

Top Bottom