Small hole in tyre after puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you were using lovely latex inners they would herniate through that hole and pop with a loud squeak but a butyl inner will bridge it, especially if you stick a patch on the inside.

But even a patch won't prevent the carcass from tearing open if threads are cut. With very light tyres like Veloflex or Vittoria corsas you'll see the sidewalls begin to bulge on obliquely opposite sides as the cross threads begin to separate.

Ajax Bay

Guru
(off topic) And thread failure - leading to sidewall bulges - was exactly how first one and then the other Giant (SL2?) tyre failed on me, the second at the 680k point of an end-to-end.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Thanks for all the tips folks .
I think what Ile do is as the tyres have been on the bike about 1year 4months Ile just replace them . I will do as some of you suggested and patch the tyre on the inside and keep them for use on the turbo trainer .
I was planning on replacing them soon anyway with contenential gp4000s but
A lad I go on club rides with bought as set and on his first ride his front blew .the sidewall blew and on his second ride with them he got a rear puntcure so that put me off those .
I was passing chainreaction store today and called in and bought a pair of vittoria rubhino pro endurance .So hope I've made good choice .

Top Bottom