Small hole in tyre after puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Would like to hear your thoughts .
Got a puncture on last ride out. on inspection after I got home this is the hole in the tyre .will it be ok to continue on it could it blow
20180828_190204.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Ive seen superglue mentioned for repairing small nicks
What tyre is it?
Aren't you resting your knee off the bike though?

I rode an old schwalbe stelvio for any miles that had a knick like that with a couple others by it. It was OK, after a few outings (let's say 50 or so miles) I decided to take it off and applied a large pncture patch to the inside, not sure if it helped, but it did make me worry less about the hole ripping and causing a blow out. Whatever you do, if you continue to ride it check it regularly.

I saw on here the first I'd ever seen about that stuff "sugru" - maybe this might fill the hole a bit, personally if it's expensive site tyre I'd try that as I'm looking for a reason to try the stuff.

Slick

Guru
I suppose it depends on which tyre it is but I'm running a lot worse than that on one bike at the moment. I keep trying to remember to go over the tyre with tweezers every now and again to pick out offending matter.

Rowano

I've had gatorskins and mavics with similar nicks in and no problems. The gatorskins probably did about 4000 miles over a year of daily commutes. I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned by it, just keep an eye on it

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
What tyre is it?
Aren't you resting your knee off the bike though?
It's a giant tyre that came with the bike .
700x25
And don't worry I've been restesing as much as I can. No bike at all but Still need to go to work . Still today it's sore especially on stairs but it's getting better .

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have tried the super glue trick. Don’t do it unless you can perfectly join the edges of the rubber. If there is a hard plug of glue, it will work it’s way into the tube and possibly puncture. It also ‘clicks’ on every revolution of the tyre. My experience. A vulcanising glue might be better, but I haven’t tried that.

I picked the plug out eventually and then retired the tyre when the slit started to grow. It spent it's last twilight days as a rear tyre in case it did blow.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Have used super glue on small holes in the tyre but not one as large as that.Never had a problem.

Some years ago when I used tubs there was a product I think called tread stop.Dont know if it’s still available.

gbb

Legendary Member
Had Gators go like that, two options to prevent the tube forcing its way out through the slit / hole...
Old toothpaste tube, cut a boot about 1 inch x 2 inch and place between the tube and tyre at that point.

If you have any emery tape (this was my preferred method, simply because i had some to hand), place a strip (rough side to the tyre NOT the innertube) at the hole to prevent tube forcing its way out. This lasts a couple months, the emery tape deteriorates so needs replacing once in a while.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No way will the tube 'force' it's way/("blow" out of that slit. The risk with minor damage like that is that another sharp item will get in (more easily than otherwise the same way and cause a puncture (again). Regular clean and inspect is the best mitigation. For the time being I would carry on using the tyre (except that my experience of 'Giant' tyres is poor and would swap them out asap if they were mine). If on the front wheel I would immediately swap it to the rear. The adjacent wear indicators suggest that the tyre's done several thousand miles so probably worth replacing earlier rather than later anyway.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's what I do too. Although that's no recommendation. It may be an utterly stupid thing to do!
If you re-use the same tube installed the same way round then the patch on the tube stops the cut on the inside of the tyre from 'nibbling' at the innertube however if you use a new tube I've found it can puncture after a short distance. A patch stuck over the cut in the tyre stops this but obviously it depends how big the cut is.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Would like to hear your thoughts .
Got a puncture on last ride out. on inspection after I got home this is the hole in the tyre .will it be ok to continue on it could it blow View attachment 427345

Had a very similar cut in one of mine years ago. Super glued it back together, but despite the surface cut reopening fairly quickly, i think the glue's still holding deeper inside because i'm still riding it. Must be a good five years now.

Top Bottom