Small pump or CO2 pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I really don't get carrying both. Personally couldn't bring myself to do this purely due to bulk and weight of the unnecessary duplication. Carry two inner tubes and a patch kit by all means, but two methods of inflating your tyres :wacko:
I can understand your reticence, but the reality is that CO2 kit is not heavy. Maybe 100g for inflator and cannisters.

It just saves time at the side of the road, as even with the best mini pump you're looking at 200 strokes to get to a decent pressure. Plus, with CO2 I know it's at about 110psi without needing to check.

CO2 only for me FWIW :okay:

Life's too short to attempt and fail to hand pump upto 120 psi at the side of the road in the British weather :rain:

I use a topeak micro rocket. Gets up to pressure easy enough. Id much rather spend 2 minutes blowing up a tyre than have the extra faff and expense of replacing used cartridges.
I've never tried that pump TBH but it's all horses for courses, innit?

I don't always pay for convenience in life, but if I feel there is a discernible benefit in doing so then I will where I can afford to.

It's worth considering mileage here too, FWIW I cycle very rarely these days, so my chances of a puncture of very limited, and with that in mind I could buy quite a few CO2 cartridges for the price of the pump.

FWIW to the OP, I've also never fixed a puncture at the side of the road either, new tube every time and repair at home in the warm/dry/light and with a brew :okay:

robgul

Legendary Member
My two Van Nic machines both have "seat post track pumps" - but I have CO2s (and tubes + puncture kit) too. Other machines it's pump & CO2.

Bulk buying CO2 cartridges in boxes of 50 (to last a while!) gets the unit price down to about 10% of the normal bike shop/Halfords prices

Rob

screenman

Legendary Member
All this new fangled stuff, steel rims without rubber is the real way to go.

GlenBen

Über Member
Absolutely. Pros and cons to both. I guess having both means you have no cons though (apart from the extra few grams that makes no difference).

Im with you on replace the tube and repair later though.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bontrager Mini Charger pump. It's never let me down even when getting a club members 23c tyre up to 100psi coz his road morph fell to bits and the co2 didn't work. Once a pump is paid for, it has no further running costs. Co2 canister on the other hand? Why would anyone pay for air when it's free all around???

Top Bottom