Small pump or CO2 pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mini pump for me...can't remember which but it gets sufficient pressure reasonably easily. Tried co2 but never really got on with it. I'm also poor at remembering to buy things like cartridges!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How can CO2 not work.
When the seal on the inflator dries out and cracks. They do eventually, as many air gunners with a C02 rifle or pistol will tell you.

I had a very slow five miles home a few years ago with the rim bottoming on every bump, about thirty pounds in the tyre and three spent cartridges in my back pocket. And the pump however far over the hedge I had managed to throw the blasted thing.

screenman

Legendary Member
When the seal on the inflator dries out and cracks. They do eventually, as many air gunners with a C02 rifle or pistol will tell you.

I had a very slow five miles home a few years ago with the rim bottoming on every bump, about thirty pounds in the tyre and three spent cartridges in my back pocket. And the pump however far over the hedge I had managed to throw the blasted thing.

Operator failure then, the failure to maintain. I have a little rubber grease on each of mine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Both usually, as it's soo fast with CO2 - was great when commuting as you could really be back on the road in a few minutes.
Never really understand people who say they use CO2 for speed and then still take the whole wheel off, remove and replace the tube instead of popping out the damaged part and sticky-patching it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Never really understand people who say they use CO2 for speed and then still take the whole wheel off, remove and replace the tube instead of popping out the damaged part and sticky-patching it.
??? Taking a wheel off takes seconds and allows you to properly locate the problem whereas trying to faff about doing key hole surgery (providing you can actually find the site of the puncture without removing the entire tube), and then doing it all again a short while later when your botched sticky patch fails, takes a hell of a lot longer

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
??? Taking a wheel off takes seconds and allows you to properly locate the problem whereas trying to faff about doing key hole surgery (providing you can actually find the site of the puncture without removing the entire tube), and then doing it all again a short while later when your botched sticky patch fails, takes a hell of a lot longer
It's not the taking the wheel off that's usually slow (give or take the mess some make of gears) but all the messing with the tyre and tube. If someone's the sort to botch a simple patch, they'll probably botch a more complicated task like removing and refitting!

Globalti

Legendary Member
CO2 for me with one cartridge up the spout reversed and a second in the small seat pack. My trigger holds the pressure in a half-used cylinder indefinitely so I reckon I'd get two tyres worth if I was careful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Front and rears take seconds, even a fixed gear rear wheel

Try patching a tube in the pouring rain. I patch tubes at home in the warm. Can fix a puncture including repacking panniers in 5 minutes.

It's great if you've got to be at, say a meeting, on time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not the taking the wheel off that's usually slow (give or take the mess some make of gears) but all the messing with the tyre and tube. If someone's the sort to botch a simple patch, they'll probably botch a more complicated task like removing and refitting!

No messing at all. Folding tyres are easy to work with and little or no need for levers. Give it a try.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I carried both for a while, but then I realised that if I still needed the CO2 then it was just wasting space in my bag. Back to just the pump.

Top Bottom