Small pump or CO2 pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try patching a tube in the pouring rain. I patch tubes at home in the warm. Can fix a puncture including repacking panniers in 5 minutes.

It's great if you've got to be at, say a meeting, on time.
Can readily patch a tube in 5 minutes, even in the rain, although it's nicer to pop into a spare bus shelter or litchgate if there's one nearby. I still say it's usually quicker than removing everything and replacing the tube. If you really need quick, there's always sealants.

screenman

Legendary Member
Can readily patch a tube in 5 minutes, even in the rain, although it's nicer to pop into a spare bus shelter or lychgate if there's one nearby. I still say it's usually quicker than removing everything and replacing the tube. If you really need quick, there's always sealants.

To be fair you are different to everybody else on here, and by the way I have been timed changing a tube faster than that beside the road and with less chance of failure.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used a CO2 pump and it over inflated the tyres so much I needed a step ladder to get on the bike, and a parachute to get off it. I did the same with a pump once, but it took half an hour to get some puff in it.

screenman

Legendary Member
On the subject of overinflation, what worries me a bit about CO2, I've had a few p'tures I've patched with Park's patches and they've held for hours and got me home but at home when I've pute them to pressure with a track pump they've failed.

Get a CO2 that you regulate.

Get a CO2 that you regulate.
I'm read the instructions for the Lifeline hybrid mini/ CO2 pump just now at seems you can do that.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Why not use a 2 in 1 pump such as th PDW Magic Flute - a normal pump so you can get some air in the tyre and tube to check they're seated properly (or to find the puncture if you prefer to fix the tube by the roadside), then use the CO2 to get up to full pressure.

screenman

Legendary Member
Why not use a 2 in 1 pump such as th PDW Magic Flute - a normal pump so you can get some air in the tyre and tube to check they're seated properly (or to find the puncture if you prefer to fix the tube by the roadside), then use the CO2 to get up to full pressure.

Because you can get a CO2 that you regulate.

bikeman66

90% of the time I'll be riding with a couple of mates. I always take CO2 and at least one of the other guys will have a pump.

I usually take four cartridges with me, and my logic is that seeing as I've only used CO2 twice in the three years I've had it, I'd have to be seriously unlucky to need all four on one ride. If I do, then there's always my mates with the pump!

Like the fact that the tyre is inflated in a couple of seconds and I can get back to riding my bike ASAP.

Top Bottom