Small pump or CO2 pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I've rescue two cyclists who were having to walk a mile on road shoes to the nearest station, as they had managed to misfire the CO2 into the air. Both, or just pump I'd say.

Same story with me only there were three of them! Not one of them had a conventional pump!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A small track pump like he enjoys would not I feel suit my style, likewise I prefer sporting whilst I think he prefers a Dutch style upright (I could be wrong) a bit rare amongst some on here I would imagine.
I got my mini floor pump when I mostly rode a hybrid and I do use it for the road bike and folding bike too but style seems a fair reason to favour CO2 (I admit I usually prioritise function and have a few things not "in keeping" on my bikes) which makes more sense than speed. If a pump is slow, there's probably a quicker one - this user review claims a Topeak Road Morph G is about 3x the speed of the Lezyne they were using.

The main thing is we all enjoy some kind of cycling.
Amen to that!

boydj

Legendary Member
I carry both CO2 and a mini-pump - better safe than sorry, because multiple punctures can happen.

As regards fixing in 5 minutes, I often find that it takes longer than that to find and remove the cause of the puncture before the tyre can be remounted.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I often find that it takes longer than that to find and remove the cause of the puncture before the tyre can be remounted.
I usually pump the tyre up a bit and spin the wheel and if it's still not obvious where the problem is, then I dribble some water from my bottle onto it and look for the bubbles. 9½ times out of 10, that'll show it, then extracting that part of the tube will reveal a hole and confirm it... although on a few rare occasions, I've suffered doubles or worse... and on one occasion I remember (September 2015), I've pumped someone's flat tyre up and it's held pressure, so who knows what was up there! Hopefully as simple as a valve user error but it didn't look like it.

Working pump. Damn good and reliable working pump. Small? No matter.

I carry Co2 and a pump. So far I've only used the pump but I've had two pumps die over time which I didn't know until I came to use them and I only need to lose the hose on my current pump for it to be useless, so CO2 is a backup.

Lozi

My dad said when he was a child he used to stuff his bike tyres with grass, it’s virtually impossible to puncture a 1950’s style tubeless grass setup no pumps required :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thread Resurrection.

I can't find the thread that recommended wedsites to get co2 canisters from in bulk

I'm pretty sure @ianrauk was one of those that posted a link. :okay:

Cheers in advance

Top Bottom