Small things that give immense satisfaction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a slightly different problem with a cat at bird feeding time.

My parents had a pair of Australian magpies that ate in the garden so regularly, they were almost tame. They are carrion eaters, so they were fed table scraps including meat. The neighbour's cat assumed that we were putting food out for him, just being a bit weird keeping it out of his reach, so he would sit underneath waiting for the birds to drop food on him. Unfortunately, this was too close for the birds' comfort and they wouldn't eat while he was there.

I found that one of the magpies would take food from my hand, so I would hand feed her with the cat there, holding the food up to the bird. The cat thought he was going to get fed, so danced around my legs. When I didn't feed him, he bit me - hard and deep - and I ended up with a tetanus injection and 2 courses of antibiotics.

10151919_10152307927987402_57809442_n.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So does anyone know a good online supplier of peanuts, Niger seeds and sunflower hearts?

I've been using Kennedy Wild Bird Foods for quite a while. Very reliable. I get 25kg bags but you have to store them off the floor in the shed/garage to deter mice

http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com

Being about 600ft above sea level here almost all the birds leave when it gets wintry. I know when Spring is on the way when the greenfinches, goldfinches etc return

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
View attachment 74289 This appeared in our garden earlier this year.............I got the photo is the local paper as it was a first for Warrington.
I believe thay are a real pain when they take hold............especially to fruit growers.
I believe that Ringneck and Monk Parakeets can legally be "dispatched" in the UK under general licence as long as you are the land owner or have the land owners permission.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3423797, member: 9609"]One of these ? get one with the small dish at the bottom to catch the seed that falls out, the're much better. About a month after we put this one up there was a strange clover / cress growing underneath, huge amounts of seed were being wasted
GoldFinch_6580_zps61adc735.jpg
[/QUOTE]
No, I only got a little one with small feeding holes on the side. I'm in a small 1st floor flat with only a small balcony so I've no idea how much the birds will use it/share it with the laundry. If it proves to be a winner, I'll get a bigger one and bear in mind the damp building up at the base.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I believe that Ringneck and Monk Parakeets can legally be "dispatched" in the UK under general licence as long as you are the land owner or have the land owners permission.

There was a recent cull of the monk ones.

They are deemed more of a hazard because their larger nests - often in pylons - short out the grid and can cause fires.

I get the impression DEFRA has given up on the ringed variety - too many to deal with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-removing-212-eggs-nests-past-five-years.html

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have various feeders around the garden but it's the ones in the front garden in a magnolia tree that's the favourite. Even within the tree one fat ball hanger is more popular than the other though it's house sparrows that go to that tree. I get some visitors to the ones in the back garden but don't go through as much seeds, nuts and fat balls.

But I'm just back from the garden centre with two nest boxes, the sort where you can remove the small hole and have a big one for robins. As I definitely have a lovely robin who always appears when I'm gardening looking to see what I disturb, I'm hoping to put them up and see if he will find a mate and nest in one of them!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
IAs I definitely have a lovely robin who always appears when I'm gardening looking to see what I disturb, !

Robins are territorial and like to know what's happening on their patch.

One used to land beside my car when I arrived at the caravan.

It would hop around, watching what I was getting out of the boot.

Blinkin' thing had no fear and was reluctant to move, I had to shoo it out the way one day when it was blocking my way to the decking steps.

Mattonsea

Über Member
Kids sleeping in their own bed !
yes ....bob on !!!!!!!!!!!!

tyred

Legendary Member
I went for a long coastal walk last weekend, it unexpectedly came on heavy rain and I got soaked.

I went into a pub and was sitting thawing out in front a of a roaring open turf fire, having lovely homemade vegetable soup whilst watching my coat steam as it dried out and could hear the wind in the chimney and rain on the window pane and I was sitting thinking this is heaven.

Mind you, I doubt the barmaid would have been pleased with the pool of water on the floor after I left :smile:

Top Bottom