Small wheel disc braked dynamos

Discussion in 'Recumbents, Trikes and HPVs' started by chriscross1966, 2 Aug 2019.

Tags:
  1. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

Hi folks... I'm looking for info on 100mm wide disc-braked dynamo hubs suitable for small wheels.... I know of a couple, an eye-wateringly expensive SON (it will be lovely, but it is expensive) and the Biologic Joules 3 Disc.... which isn't exactly cheap and seems to be almost unicorn rare ATM.... so are there any others?... needs to be double-sided not single....

If I can't find one there are any number of cheap bigger wheel units kicking around, what are he issues with running a dynamo intended for bigger wheels on something with a 349 rim?.... Thought I'd ask here as bents tend to smaller wheels at the front and are way more likely to be disc braked than the folder I will be fitting it to...

TIA
    chrisc

2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I think the 100mm OLD might be a problem.

3. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Why not look at one of the Shimano 1.5W rated dynamos? With the faster spinning of a small wheel they should generate the higher watts you'd want for a front LED light.

4. OP
    OP
    chriscross1966

Would like it to power a Cyo iQ headliggt and a Toplight plus Brake rear...

5. Nibor

Nibor Bewildered

a Shimano DH-3D37-NT should work

6. si_c

si_c Veteran

What about a Shutter Precision SD8?

I've got the PD8 for larger wheels, it's brilliant.

7. OP
    OP
    chriscross1966

Thanks for suggestions folks, I'll check them out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice