Smart-Casual Cycling Clothing to Commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
On days when the weather is good I would like to cycle to work, however I wouldn't feel comfortable walking into the office in lycra. Is anyone able to recommend some smart-casual cycling trousers which stretch a bit like lycra so they don't flap in the wind or get caught in the chain, but which aren't so revealing of the crank and ball bearings? :blush:

Have a look around some of the outdoor shops, (and TK Maxx) where there is quite a range of clothing that fits this bill

I use the Craghoppers Stretch Pro as they have enough stretch to allow cycling, but not too outdoorsy

I also use the M&S Cycling Chinos which I picked up in sale last year

Reactions: JtB
What in the name of the Holy Cameron is 'smart-casual'? Thats like a football-wedding dress, or being tall-short?

Casual as in not a formal suit, shirt and tie
Smart as in well presented and turned out

A very common description of dress code for many organisations

Drago

Legendary Member
But if it's casual, it's not well presented. It's, well, casual. One can not dress both smart and casual at the same time. Do you perhaps mean neat-casual, as smart-casual is an oxymoron.

You are right in the term is used by many organisations. However, common usage does not make them correct.

Last edited:
But if it's casual, it's not well presented. It's, well, casual. One can not dress both smart and casual at the same time. Do you perhaps mean neat-casual, as smart-casual is an oxymoron.

You are right in the term is used by many organisations. However, common usage does not make them correct.

It is the OP's choice of words and one that he has to abide by

Of course it is possible to dress smartly and well presented, but be casual - millions manage it every day, and thousands of companies use it as an accepted dress code.

Your problem with this does not make these millions wrong

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Haha, I agree "smart casual" is not logical, but it does convey the generally understood meaning described by Cunobelin above.

Some good links above, that's exactly the sort of thing I have in mind - many thanks.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sports casual

Alan-Partridge-Alpha-Papa-001.jpg

Casual, in clothing terms, is the opposite of formal - so "smart casual" makes perfect sense. Casual covers almost everything people wear these days, and people are still smart - on occasion. I assume the @JtB was looking for something he could wear at his desk as well as cycle in.

"Smart formal" would be redundant

Top Bottom