Smart Meters - A Cautionary Tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thames water changed our water meter to a smart meter without our knowledge.
The meter is in the pavement so they just did it one day when we weren’t even at home.
Thames Water are within their rights to do that - London is one of the designated 'water constrained' areas, or whatever the official term is - some parts of the country have been designated as drought-vulnerable, with suppliers given legal powers to insist on smart meters. If you protest (as I did) they'll generally back off - they've got plenty to be getting on with without going out of their way to get into squabbles. But it'll come, and there ain't a lot you can do about it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm still waiting, in my Victor Meldrew vigilante mode just in case they turn up.
Have a coat to hand, then you can say you were just on your way out, should they turn up.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
This is not about the pros and cons of smart meters,that has been discussed elsewhere,this describes the tactics used by the energy companies.

I received a call late yesterday afternoon from a Smart Meter engineer regarding the fitting of my meter arranged for today.

Told him bluntly I had not made any arrangements or agreed for a meter fitting and I don't want one of those things in my property (my choice). He told me to ring a number, I questioned him why I should ring and not him, he then put the phone down on me.

I rang my electricity supplier who were "surprised" and yes an appointment had been made to fit a meter, I then tell them the same as had I told the engineer I had not arranged anything.

My supplier then transfers me to the Smart Meter call centre who cancelled the appointment.

They are not getting off that easily so I repeatedly ask who set up the appointment.
Eventually the answer comes out. The appointments are automatically generated without the customers consent or even being informed.

I ask to speak to the line manager and question the morality and legality of these methods including release of personal information and GDPR and tackle him on their methods to fit as many meters as possible by 2020.

Another surprise, he reluctantly agreed with my comments, ( I wish I had recorded the conversation!).

This has been reported in the press and media that energy companies are using bullying tactics to force people into having a smart meter implying that the meters are compulsory.

Next step?, a formal letter to my supplier, probably a waste of time.

or......BBC Watchdog methinks.

Something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The conversation started with, "Hello Mr B, we are just ringing to make an appointment for the fitting of a smart meter. "
When asked why, the caller said it was a Government initiative to roll them out.
I asked was it compulsory to have one? She said no, to which I replied I was quite capable of knowing when gas or electricity was being used in my house, so forget about any appointment and terminated the call.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't some utility companies have a 'Statutory Right of Entrance' ?
Should only be to the point where the meter is. If outside, no right of entry to the building.

They'd be quick enough to let you know their responsibilities end at the meter.

They'd have to make another appointment. But it also stops them saying "It will only take a few minutes".
FECK OFF, also stops them only taking a few minutes, it doesn't matter how many appointments they make they wouldn't get in this house unless I wanted them to fit a smart meter

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ok , there's poor handling the appointment, but I don't really give a stuff what kind of meter they want. It's no benefit to me as already know that if I turn sumat on it'll use more juice, and not being a moron I know that a 2kW heater uses more lci than a 5W LED. But for all that I have no issue with them putting in a newer model meter from time to time - subject to my convenience for being in of course

subaqua

What’s the point
Should only be to the point where the meter is. If outside, no right of entry to the building.

They'd be quick enough to let you know their responsibilities end at the meter.

Correct . The DNO ( can be an IDNO ) is responsible for the service cable and head , the meter operator is responsible for the meter. They should check them “ regularly” and whilst they can’t barge in unannounced they can gain access. In a power cut situation where they may need to access the head for fault finding they will cut the lock.

Again the box may not be yours so they are empowered to remove the locks applied to their property. It don’t take us long to remove them.

That said smart meter installers are unlikely to do that as that slows em down... and it’s all about the money

Drago

Legendary Member
Correct . The DNO ( can be an IDNO ) is responsible for the service cable and head , the meter operator is responsible for the meter. They should check them “ regularly” and whilst they can’t barge in unannounced they can gain access. In a power cut situation where they may need to access the head for fault finding they will cut the lock.

Again the box may not be yours so they are empowered to remove the locks applied to their property. It don’t take us long to remove them.

That said smart meter installers are unlikely to do that as that slows em down... and it’s all about the money

I'm happy it's a non- issue. It's doesn't see a problem for people with internally mounted meters, which is all of them these days so can't see why it should for me.

And they will not enter my house, even an outside part of it, without seeking a warrant from a magistrate. You forgot to mention that little tidbit.

The scenario described there is what's known in the police as a "10p problem" - here's 10p, call me when it happens, and inevitably you never hear from them again.

Top Bottom