Smart Meters - A Cautionary Tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
And now I have a picture of @Drago in a full Ghillie Suit lurking in your garden with a sniper rifle, thanks for that :tongue:
s-l500.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
My meters are inside the house.

Oh my, better not nip out for a pint of milk for Western Power Distribution will pickaxe their way through your front door.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm happy it's a non- issue. It's doesn't see a problem for people with internally mounted meters, which is all of them these days so can't see why it should for me.

And they will not enter my house, even an outside part of it, without seeking a warrant from a magistrate. You forgot to mention that little tidbit.

The scenario described there is what's known in the police as a "10p problem" - here's 10p, call me when it happens, and inevitably you never hear from them again.

Nope most meters are now installed in a meter cupboard in communal blocks or outside in a specific box mainly for “ revenue protection” reasons . I.e. no warrant required to cut you off for non payment . The RPS teams would cut their own granny off without batting an eyelid . I hated my 6 week secondment to the department.

There’s a surprising amount that can be done without a warrant if it’s external

Drago

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, mine is within a private dwelling, so they do need a warrant from a Magistrate. Even if it's just their hands from the wrist down entering my house, they still need the paper. Oh, and acetelyne - those container padlock are a league above Abus stuff. As aforementioned, it's a 10p question anyway - it hasn't happened in the 55 years this house has been standing, and it won't happen in the next 55.

I can dig the communal block meters for flats and stuff, but all the newish houses I've been in lately have them inside the house?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Oh my, better not nip out for a pint of milk for Western Power Distribution will pickaxe their way through your front door.

Got claymores in place bud ;) enemy sparkies in the perimeter are not a good thing

Last edited:

presta

Guru
not being a moron I know that a 2kW heater uses more lci than a 5W LED
It's energy you pay for, not power. Power is rate of change of energy, so the energy you pay for is power multiplied by the time the appliance is used. So, for example, a relatively low power device like a fridge uses more energy than a high power appliance like a kettle because the fridge is on all day, and the kettle is only on for a couple of minutes each time you make a coffee. It's a common pitfall, people with an eye to saving money compare power instead of energy, and end up focusing on all the wrong appliances.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's energy you pay for, not power. Power is rate of change of energy, so the energy you pay for is power multiplied by the time the appliance is used. So, for example, a relatively low power device like a fridge uses more energy than a high power appliance like a kettle because the fridge is on all day, and the kettle is only on for a couple of minutes each time you make a coffee. It's a common pitfall, people with an eye to saving money compare power instead of energy, and end up focusing on all the wrong appliances.

So how does a smart meter help you calculate the bleedin obvious ?

classic33

Leg End Member
During the time the kettle is in use, which will use more electricity(assuming both are electric), kettle or fridge?

tyred

Legendary Member
I tried saving electricity by boiling the kettle on the gas but the stupid thing melted.

presta

Guru
So how does a smart meter help you calculate the bleedin obvious ?
They don't really, smart meters are a waste of money. If it's so bleedin obvious that you're charged for energy not power, I wonder why I see so many people trying to save electricity by focusing on appliances that use little energy just because they're high power. My kettle is the second highest power appliance in the house, but the ninth highest consumer of energy. The second largest energy consumption is the eighth highest power.
During the time the kettle is in use, which will use more electricity(assuming both are electric), kettle or fridge?
The kettle, what's your point?

spen666

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, mine is within a private dwelling, so they do need a warrant from a Magistrate. ...

I am off to the Magistrates Court tomorrow to defend two applications from my power company for warrants of entry for non payment of Gas & Electricity.

This will be the 5th and 6th applications the same power company have made. They have lost the last 4, because I have disputed the debt. They are aeware of the dispute and should issue proccedings in the County Court to prove the debt. They refuse to do this.

They have been bounced out of Magistrates Court now 4 times, so what makes them think it will be different. If I had a Smart Meter, then they could have cut my power off without a warrant and thus denied me the right to dispute the debt.

I have advised them repeatedly of the correct legal procedure, but hey continue to make repeat applications and lose them. I think this time I may consider applying for a witness summons for the CEO of the Power company to attend court and be examined about the procedures at his company (and why they have previously told the court that I had not communicated with them....despite there being several hundred letters over the last 6 years about this issue).

Let the battle recommence

Top Bottom