Smart Meters - A Cautionary Tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
This is not about the pros and cons of smart meters,that has been discussed elsewhere,this describes the tactics used by the energy companies.

I received a call late yesterday afternoon from a Smart Meter engineer regarding the fitting of my meter arranged for today.

Told him bluntly I had not made any arrangements or agreed for a meter fitting and I don't want one of those things in my property (my choice). He told me to ring a number, I questioned him why I should ring and not him, he then put the phone down on me.

I rang my electricity supplier who were "surprised" and yes an appointment had been made to fit a meter, I then tell them the same as had I told the engineer I had not arranged anything.

My supplier then transfers me to the Smart Meter call centre who cancelled the appointment.

They are not getting off that easily so I repeatedly ask who set up the appointment.
Eventually the answer comes out. The appointments are automatically generated without the customers consent or even being informed.

I ask to speak to the line manager and question the morality and legality of these methods including release of personal information and GDPR and tackle him on their methods to fit as many meters as possible by 2020.

Another surprise, he reluctantly agreed with my comments, ( I wish I had recorded the conversation!).

This has been reported in the press and media that energy companies are using bullying tactics to force people into having a smart meter implying that the meters are compulsory.

Next step?, a formal letter to my supplier, probably a waste of time.

or......BBC Watchdog methinks.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sneaky buggers.

Is BBC Watchdog still going?

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
I think it's an absolute disgrace and they must be preying on the elderly too.

I live in a small village and work from home, so I'm on vigilante mode to see if they are around.

snorri

Legendary Member
Complain to OFGEN. I've fitted a padlock to my meter cupboard to prevent any such shenanigans.
A padlock? Pfff, I've hired a team of retired police people to guard mine.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
The engineer didn't withhold his mobile number when he called, so I have that up my sleeve, well not actually up my sleeve but written down.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Thames water changed our water meter to a smart meter without our knowledge.
The meter is in the pavement so they just did it one day when we weren’t even at home.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Thames water changed our water meter to a smart meter without our knowledge.
The meter is in the pavement so they just did it one day when we weren’t even at home.

Did you complain, or is the meter beneficial. My annoyance is the underhand tactics they are using.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine is in one of those outdoor meter jobbies, the fibreglass jobs with the clear panel so the meter can be read without opening it. As a copper id been to a few jobs where herberts thought it funny to open the cupboard and interfere with the meter or even interrupt the supply, hence me fitting a hasp and staple to mine - the welcome side effect is it prevents underhanded meter swaps by energy firms.

Top Bottom