Smart tire company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Making use of my amazing IT skills I have found more info
https://www.smarttirecompany.com/

sounds like NASA have used it to make tyres for the Mars missions - but for some reason the Mars missions didn't think they would need a bike
or at least that is one way to read it

still no mention of a rubber coating - although a picture of a MTB type tyre does seem to have the normal rubber knobbles
But if it moves and flexes maybe it does grip - although I can;t see it

addendum
The METL tire can last the life of your vehicle/bicycle, but eventually the rubber-like tread will wear down and can be re-treaded within our recycle system. It’s a lot better and cost-effective than having to buy a brand new set of tires.

looks like they technique involves a small amount of rubber and has good grip - according to them
When the 'Invest' pop up appeared, I did a dragon, I'm out :okay:

We'll get the orders in.. price per tyre Knitty ?... lots ?

Well, I hate sewing up knitting, and so I would prefer to do them on a CSM (circular sock machine) but those - at least in working order - are like hens' teeth here in the UK.
Easier to get hold of in the US and Canada, and there's a co in NZ makes new ones in alloy and everything, rather than cast iron, but they COST, oh do they cost ... new or old, they cost.
Then I'd have to get a suitable extra-small cylinder for the CSM - unless people only wanted balloon tyres ...

There again, I could just knit long strips and felt them into the wheel rim itself so they shrink inwards and are held in place by their own shrinkage, and knit another long strip of the rubber yarn, lined with kevlar and steel; it can be held securely in position over the felted rim filling by crocheting it in place around the spokes ...

• Love
Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, I hate sewing up knitting, and so I would prefer to do them on a CSM (circular sock machine) but those - at least in working order - are like hens' teeth here in the UK.
Easier to get hold of in the US and Canada, and there's a co in NZ makes new ones in alloy and everything, rather than cast iron, but they COST, oh do they cost ... new or old, they cost.
Then I'd have to get a suitable extra-small cylinder for the CSM - unless people only wanted balloon tyres ...

There again, I could just knit long strips and felt them into the wheel rim itself so they shrink inwards and are held in place by their own shrinkage, and knit another long strip of the rubber yarn, lined with kevlar and steel; it can be held securely in position over the felted rim filling by crocheting it in place around the spokes ...
I know where there's over a dozen of them in a box, doing nothing bar sitting there.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Wouldn't a knitted tyre make the bike handling a bit 'woolly' ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Wouldn't a knitted tyre make the bike handling a bit 'woolly' ^_^
Would a knitted coat be useful?

Top Bottom