Smart tire company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/nasa-eco-technology-landing-bike-tyres-soon-282351

Hardly difficult to find - helpful if the OP did it so people could look more easily
but maybe I am just brilliant at IT

Using the same tech that NASA invented for Mar Rover missions, SMART Tire Company says its product
Unquote
so they have used technology that NASA developed/invented and used it to make a tyre-like-thing

so material invented by NASA
'tyre like thing' made by this company
no mention of it but I presume it is covered by rubber to give it grip - rather an important point to have missed out I would have thought - but was can assume that grip would not be something they would forget to think about
probably

Making use of my amazing IT skills I have found more info
https://www.smarttirecompany.com/

sounds like NASA have used it to make tyres for the Mars missions - but for some reason the Mars missions didn't think they would need a bike
or at least that is one way to read it

still no mention of a rubber coating - although a picture of a MTB type tyre does seem to have the normal rubber knobbles
But if it moves and flexes maybe it does grip - although I can;t see it

addendum
The METL tire can last the life of your vehicle/bicycle, but eventually the rubber-like tread will wear down and can be re-treaded within our recycle system. It’s a lot better and cost-effective than having to buy a brand new set of tires.

looks like they technique involves a small amount of rubber and has good grip - according to them

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Using the same tech that NASA invented for Mar Rover missions, SMART Tire Company says its product
Unquote
so they have used technology that NASA developed/invented and used it to make a tyre-like-thing

so material invented by NASA
'tyre like thing' made by this company
no mention of it but I presume it is covered by rubber to give it grip - rather an important point to have missed out I would have thought - but was can assume that grip would not be something they would forget to think about
probably
Who.knows

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Making use of my amazing IT skills I have found more info
https://www.smarttirecompany.com/

sounds like NASA have used it to make tyres for the Mars missions - but for some reason the Mars missions didn't think they would need a bike
or at least that is one way to read it

still no mention of a rubber coating - although a picture of a MTB type tyre does seem to have the normal rubber knobbles
But if it moves and flexes maybe it does grip - although I can;t see it

addendum
The METL tire can last the life of your vehicle/bicycle, but eventually the rubber-like tread will wear down and can be re-treaded within our recycle system. It’s a lot better and cost-effective than having to buy a brand new set of tires.

looks like they technique involves a small amount of rubber and has good grip - according to them

They will tell you that. I'll stick with Maxxis Minions with all the labels on the side wall, 3c, Max Terra, DHF, DHR II, sitick it up yer jumper... tyres. More labels the better :whistle:

Knitty can knit us some tyres. Worth trying. Won't puncture. :crazy:

I could knit them out of Kevlar, copper, or stainless steel for hard wear, and use highly-feltable mohair or sheep fleece for a cushioning effect. There are yarns made with a high % of rubber which I would use for the outer portion of the tyre for grip, and it would be fun to play tricks by knitting most of the tyre in, say, Kevlar, s/s and mohair, and small sections in a soluble yarn that starts to disintegrate when you ride through a puddle! :evil: There are also conductive yarns that will conduct under pressure or stretching, but not otherwise, and they could be fun to use too - or very painful, depending on what they are used for ...
NOT YER GRANNY'S KNITTING!

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I could knit them out of Kevlar, copper, or stainless steel for hard wear, and use highly-feltable mohair or sheep fleece for a cushioning effect. There are yarns made with a high % of rubber which I would use for the outer portion of the tyre for grip, and it would be fun to play tricks by knitting most of the tyre in, say, Kevlar, s/s and mohair, and small sections in a soluble yarn that starts to disintegrate when you ride through a puddle! :evil: There are also conductive yarns that will conduct under pressure or stretching, but not otherwise, and they could be fun to use too - or very painful, depending on what they are used for ...

We'll get the orders in.. price per tyre Knitty ?... lots ?

classic33

Leg End Member
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/nasa-eco-technology-landing-bike-tyres-soon-282351

Hardly difficult to find - helpful if the OP did it so people could look more easily
but maybe I am just brilliant at IT
Those tyres are just a development of the lunar rover tyres, developed in the 60's to a practical level.
The metal itself is more commonly found/used in stents, due to its reaction to heat from the body.

See
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/nitinol

Top Bottom