Smart Turbos and Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillian

Thinking about getting my first TT and it appears Smart Turbos are the way to go. I'm looking at entry level ones eg Tacx Satori Smart. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?
However, my main question is regarding the available apps? How do these work with regards to a work out? Do you just change the resistance based on the video and continue to cycle as strongly as you can. Do the videos/workouts give you instructions e.g. Resistance level, cadence etc. I have never used heart rate, power, cadence to analyse an outdoor ride so wouldn't have a clue where to start with creating a training workout of my own.

RickB

professional procrastinator
Hi Gillian,

I have only experience of using an elite realtour and a bkool pro - both with Bkool software.

Both these trainers were smart trainers and the resistance changes as you reach a hill for example. The software takes a wee while to get the hang off but it's great when you get up and running!

MiloSnowe

Got the Bkool One. Cracking bit of kit. Bkool software allows you to ride following video or 3D graphics like a computer game. You go up a hill the wheel tightens to simulate the gradient. Reality? Put it this way lowest cog on the crank lowest cog on the cassette and you can really feel it going up a 10% gradient. You can race your best previous times on thousands of different routes or race the best times of previous participants. Want to try some of the hills on the Tour de France? Yes you can. You can also save your workouts to Strava and can also record and upload any workouts that you do regularly as a new route on Bkool
They do a try before you buy deal on the Pro and the One is currently on sale at Wiggle for £145 which is a bargain. It's also Zwift compatible

RickB

professional procrastinator
I may be wrong but the Bkool one is not a smart trainer. :blush: It has fixed resistance. Only the pro adjusts for gradients .

MiloSnowe

Rick
We need to define 'smart' the One adjusts the resistance when you are going uphill... Trust me :sweat:
The pro, I believe, also has variable resistance so you can program it to do say10 sets of 5 min 8% gradients inter spaced with 2 min recoveries.

Buck

Guru
Thinking about getting my first TT and it appears Smart Turbos are the way to go. I'm looking at entry level ones eg Tacx Satori Smart. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?
However, my main question is regarding the available apps? How do these work with regards to a work out? Do you just change the resistance based on the video and continue to cycle as strongly as you can. Do the videos/workouts give you instructions e.g. Resistance level, cadence etc. I have never used heart rate, power, cadence to analyse an outdoor ride so wouldn't have a clue where to start with creating a training workout of my own.

@gillian
I've just bought the Tacx Satori Smart after reading lots of reviews and comparisons. (Bought from Wiggle with a price match to rosebikes saving over £30) My thinking was that I didn't want to spend more than this on my first trainer. If I get in with it and want something better(?) then I can always upgrade next year.

With the Tacx smart trainers you can either adjust the resistance manually using the included adjuster or via their free app or even better, using a programme such as Zwift which will via ANT+ will adjust the resistance based on the inline/descent making for a more interactive ride/experience.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
I may be wrong but the Bkool one is not a smart trainer. :blush: It has fixed resistance. Only the pro adjusts for gradients .

Theres a firmware update to make it FE-C compliant...just done mine

Buck

Guru
I thought you couldn't use an app to change the resistance of a Satori Smart, only the Vortex and Bushido Smart and up?

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/trainer-profile-zwifttrainerroadkinomap.html

g00se, you're right and my mistake - the Satori is manual adjustment only :sad: When I read the reviews for the Satori, it read that it could all be adjusted but I think all it does is transmit readings to the software/app. As you say, you need the Vortex, Bushido or Neo for the true "smart" experience.

My order arrived today and as yet is unopened so will be going back and I will be getting a Vortex Smart (when back in stock!)

Top Bottom