Smart Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
So, its now a year or more since these were mass launched. Apple, Sony, Samsung etc are all falling over themselves to push their products.

I am still left asking myself what is the problem they are a solution to.

Can some of you more IT lovers convince me why I need one of these devices?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've just bought a Pebble (haven't received it yet). Main reason I bought it is so that I can check what comes through on my phone whilst on bike rides/commute without having to stop and get the phone out of the bag that's in my jersey pocket.

That, and I collect watches. So just wanted one.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm still wondering what smart watches are for too. When I was using an iPhone 4S I could get it to read texts to me, I could reply my speaking and I could take calls, all hands free. I can do something similar with my Nexus 5 apparently but haven't bothered to learn how.

I'm going to wait until they do something I feel I need and then get one. Until then I'm in the stop and get my phone out camp.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Currently I have no desire to put a thing on my wrist, I never liked wearing wrist watches, and I'm not prepared to pay a premium to see when there's a notification from Twitter.

Far from a premium. Pebble watch cost £100. That's a heck a lot less then some of my other watches.

Twitter? What's that?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I like that the Pebbl doesn't need to be charged twice a day to be functional unlike its competitors.

About 5-7 days iirc

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Blimey - I still use a slider mobile from the dark ages and it mostly stays off in my back pocket when I'm out and about. Nothing is that urgent is it?

83a16b%7C5809_65387.jpg

discominer

So, its now a year or more since these were mass launched. Apple, Sony, Samsung etc are all falling over themselves to push their products.

I am still left asking myself what is the problem they are a solution to.

Can some of you more IT lovers convince me why I need one of these devices?

IT company needs more of fanboy cash. Queue of said fanboys at shop means loads of coverage from dumbass press. Result.

MarkF

Guru
I collect watches too but have no desire or need for one. I don't see a great future for them, but in 20+ years I would not be surprised of they were worth good money. Try buying a metal bodied Casio from the 1980's, throwaway "gimmick" watches then, are sought after watches now.

D

Deleted member 1258

Blimey - I still use a slider mobile from the dark ages and it mostly stays off in my back pocket when I'm out and about. Nothing is that urgent is it?

83a16b%7C5809_65387.jpg

I've still got one of those in the house somewhere, lovely phone with a short battery life, as for smart watches I've only just got a smart phone.

Top Bottom