Smartphone recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes i know i've asked before but i can't find the thread. I did end up buying a phone last year. It was only a cheap one,which i wanted just to send texts mainly. Anyway,that phone was crap! I've decided to bite the bullet and get a smartphone. I'm not interested in contracts as i went into Tesco yesterday to be met with some smart arse who found that i don't have any "photo id" amusing. Ok,my driving license is nearly 40 years old and my passport expired 2 years ago,but i thought the utility bills and stuff i took in would have been good enough. I want to buy one now,so i went into a local shop yesterday to see what they had. The bloke in there showed me a Samsung GALAXY J3 phone. It was £130,then i'd have to buy a £15 top up. I want a phone that gets me the internet and takes good pics' etc,but i don't want something complicated. Is there summat out there better than the one he showed me? By the way,they have the Samsung J3 at Amazon for 15 quid less,but i don't fancy clicking anything on that site due to the bad experiences i've had,plus i'd like t do my bit to keep a local business going. All suggestions will be welcome,but nothing too complicated for an aging technophobe please!

vickster

Legendary Member
Could buy an unlocked used iPhone 5 or similar. Then seek out the best SIM only deal for your needs, certainly get for less than £15 a month. PAYG gets v expensive quickly

sight-pin

Veteran
If your going for PAYG, having data switched to ON can incur a daily charge with some providers.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
For the Sim these look good value pay monthly but no contract and a discount on unused data https://smarty.co.uk/?utm_campaign=...m=lookalike&utm_source=FB&utm_content=switchB

Or Giff Gaff https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards

Phone wise depends on your budget, I just got a P10 Lite and I am pleased with it, or Second hand. The problem with second-hand will be how battered the battery is...

As for complicated they will all be either iOS or Android or Windows so complication will be more or less the same on a £120 phone as it will be on a £400

vickster

Legendary Member
Well indeed. 3 seem unusual that they allow roll over of top up, Tesco certainly didn't. Something for Accy to check

They aren't on my radar as I've heard shocking things about their Customer Service (albeit from when they first started so might now be better)

Top Bottom