Smells on route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoo

On my evening commute i cycle up a particular steep hill near the top (with the right wind) i get the full aroma of the local maggot farm,this profusion of rotting meat (or whatever it is they use) really gets to the back of my throat especially when i am breathing heavily.
Anyone else have any nice or bad smelly encounters en route?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes.bad.. it's called Lewisham

Aiden_23

Bit of fermented cabbage from the local dump/tip/landfill really gets me heaving on the bike!!!! But User76 farm WOW massive respect for that I would be doubled over!!!!

Maz

Guru
There's a pie factory I go past. Depending on the day of week, it's either meat pies or the smell of hot cooking jam. Really deilicious smells, both of them.

I used to pass a cottage with several hives in the garden on my commute. The smell at certain times of the year reminded me of my own childhood around bees. The bees and honey don't smell, but there's a scent in a beekeper's garden that's magical.

I still like the smell of a smouldering bonfire in the Autumn. Not riding through the smoke, just the scent of it in the air.

I adore the recent-rain smell from hedgerows. It makes the damp roads worthwhile.

In the right conditions, the exhaust of a two-stroke motor speeds me up on a bicycle. Not a bucolic image, but it works for me.

On the downside I'm not too fond of oilseed rape, which seems to be grown all over the Three Counties.

Rotting roadkill can also be unpleasant on a hot, still day.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There are two dead and fermenting badgers on the side of the road near my place, within half a mile of one another. They've been there for a week and are most definitely at the "hold your breath as you go past" stage. We're just entering a spell of what promises to be hot and sunny weather. xx(

Gez73

Veteran
There's a carcass lorry that I sometimes get stuck behind. Makes me wretch every time. User76 farm sounds intriguing though.

Madders

Regular
I've noticed a distinct fishy smell during this wet weatherxx( Yet, as mentioned, wet hedgerows are lovely.

Top Bottom