Smells on route

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by steveoo, 20 Jul 2012.

1. steveoo

steveoo Active Member

On my evening commute i cycle up a particular steep hill near the top (with the right wind) i get the full aroma of the local maggot farm,this profusion of rotting meat (or whatever it is they use) really gets to the back of my throat especially when i am breathing heavily.
    Anyone else have any nice or bad smelly encounters en route?

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Yes.bad.. it's called Lewisham

Lyrical and Durian like this.
  3. Aiden_23

Aiden_23 Active Member

Bit of fermented cabbage from the local dump/tip/landfill really gets me heaving on the bike!!!! But Maggot farm WOW massive respect for that I would be doubled over!!!!

4. Maz

Maz Legendary Member

There's a pie factory I go past. Depending on the day of week, it's either meat pies or the smell of hot cooking jam. Really deilicious smells, both of them.

Aiden_23 likes this.
  5. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Whisky distilleries, both malt and grain.:smile:
    Agricultural aromas, cows and silage.
    The smell, or is it taste(?), of salt air and seaweed when it's stormy.

6. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Not a commute but I occasionally wander east along the Thames path. Crossness sewage works is a thing of true wonder!

7. Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic Guest

I used to pass a cottage with several hives in the garden on my commute. The smell at certain times of the year reminded me of my own childhood around bees. The bees and honey don't smell, but there's a scent in a beekeper's garden that's magical.

I still like the smell of a smouldering bonfire in the Autumn. Not riding through the smoke, just the scent of it in the air.

I adore the recent-rain smell from hedgerows. It makes the damp roads worthwhile.

In the right conditions, the exhaust of a two-stroke motor speeds me up on a bicycle. Not a bucolic image, but it works for me.

On the downside I'm not too fond of oilseed rape, which seems to be grown all over the Three Counties.

Rotting roadkill can also be unpleasant on a hot, still day.

8. Peter88

Peter88 Über Member

Go past a KFC near work on the commute and on some weekend rides I go past a vinegar factory

9. coffeejo

coffeejo Ælfrēd

There are two dead and fermenting badgers on the side of the road near my place, within half a mile of one another. They've been there for a week and are most definitely at the "hold your breath as you go past" stage. We're just entering a spell of what promises to be hot and sunny weather. xx(

10. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Guru

Jenkins Lane Depot - Refuse Transfer Station. Especially in a proper summer

11. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Some fantastic food smells coming out of restaurants in west London....and the odd blast of skunk courtesy of WVM.

12. edindave

edindave Über Member

Pardon my ignorance but... maggot farm...? and local maggot farm!? This is news to me!!!

They say every day is a school day! But I've never heard of it. :ohmy:

13. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

14. Gez73

Gez73 Über Member

There's a carcass lorry that I sometimes get stuck behind. Makes me wretch every time. Maggot farm sounds intriguing though.

15. Madders

Madders Regular

I've noticed a distinct fishy smell during this wet weatherxx( Yet, as mentioned, wet hedgerows are lovely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice