Smidgaf - video - would you report this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawesome

There were twelve million prosecutions of drivers for motoring offences in 2002. There are only 1 million regular cyclist commuters. Anyone who claims cyclists are the worse transgressors needs their bumps felt.

dawesome

doesn't say what?

When you reply to posts, do you bother to read the bit that's quoted?

dawesome

you mean the bit where it says he was in hospital?

That's not Hitchens, it's from the comments, a reader wrote in with his experience of the cops refusing to do anything with an errant driver.

Hitchens didn't go to hospital, the RTC won't be reported.

dawesome

But the reader went into hospital therefore it is likely the reader would be included in the stats.

That's right, the ones that go into the stats will be in the stats, the ones that don't won't.

Thank goodness you're on hand to make that clear.

400bhp

Guru
:sigh:

A passive agressive. Pointless entering into any kind of conversation with as has a sense of agression and dismissiveness in posts.

You're now on ignore.

zzzz

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1687619, member: 45"]<leans back in recliner and twists top off jar of pickled eggs>[/quote]

I fell off my bike this morning. Was entirely my fault.

dawesome

You've just wasted half a thread arguing Hitchen's smidsie was reported. It's not really my fault you didn't bother to read the link.

Jezston

Über Member
I think what everyone is saying is - did that incident in the comments on that article get included in the stats?

Considering the stats seem to be based on where there was an investigation, and it was determined who was at fault. From the sounds of this story, it appears no investigation was done so it wouldn't have had any effect on the stats either way.

TBH I think we should move on from this story because it's just some anonymous story in the comments section of a newspaper article and quite possibly entirely fictional.

Regarding early points about distance travelled and proportion of motorists and cyclists on the road - this is irrelevant as that would be what effects NUMBER of incidents, not the PROPORTION of responsibility in accidents between these modes of transport.

And could we ALL (myself included) do more to make Commuting a place where people can debate, share experience and get feedback without getting into personal attacks, petty point scoring, and deliberate shoot stirring? I'm sure it would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything, but it would certainly be a lot more pleasant place to be if we could disagree without being dicks about it.

400bhp

Guru
I think what everyone is saying is - did that incident in the comments on that article get included in the stats?

Considering the stats seem to be based on where there was an investigation, and it was determined who was at fault. From the sounds of this story, it appears no investigation was done so it wouldn't have had any effect on the stats either way.

Jetzston-the report is pretty clear what the stats are based on.

The main source of collision data for this study is the STATS19 injury accident data for 1994 - 2007. STATS19 is the national database of records of road accidents that occur on the highway involving personal injury reported to and by the police

400bhp

Guru
And could we ALL (myself included) do more to make Commuting a place where people can debate, share experience and get feedback without getting into personal attacks, petty point scoring, and deliberate shoot stirring? I'm sure it would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything, but it would certainly be a lot more pleasant place to be if we could disagree without being dicks about it.

Completely agree - but some people don't want to debate, they just want to dictate. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom