Smidgaf - video - would you report this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Mini roundabouts are tricky, i'm generally very cautious on them (both on bike and in car) as some people just don't have any idea how they work!

I would personally just write it off and learn from it, why?
I don't think your position is the best at the start, your lights are probably out done by the cars and you just blend in from the drivers point of view. He will see the car to your left taking the first exit and on that note will go, which is perfectly fine. You would be better off waiting behind the car, this will help keep you a bit more visible and will probably keep you out of conflicts like this.

I think the major issue here is the him cutting across the roundabout, which is what did bring the two of you into conflict. With only seeing the road from the video, I would guess that this is something he is going to have to do, as there is little chance of him taking the roundabout properly.

I wouldn't say you have right of way over the bus, he is meant to give priority to those on the right, but he was just on the roundabout before you, you should give priority to those who are already on it. What doesn't help is our size and the lines that we take, i've had many a conflict before because I took a mini roundabout a lot quicker and sharper than any cars do, so keep that in mind.

At the end of it, mini roundabouts are tricky, and stuff like this is bound to happen, the trick is to read the situation and have patience.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Mini roundabouts are tricky, i'm generally very cautious on them (both on bike and in car) as some people just don't have any idea how they work!

I would personally just write it off and learn from it, why?
I don't think your position is the best at the start, your lights are probably out done by the cars and you just blend in from the drivers point of view. He will see the car to your left taking the first exit and on that note will go, which is perfectly fine. You would be better off waiting behind the car, this will help keep you a bit more visible and will probably keep you out of conflicts like this.

I think the major issue here is the him cutting across the roundabout, which is what did bring the two of you into conflict. With only seeing the road from the video, I would guess that this is something he is going to have to do, as there is little chance of him taking the roundabout properly.

I wouldn't say you have right of way over the bus, he is meant to give priority to those on the right, but he was just on the roundabout before you, you should give priority to those who are already on it. What doesn't help is our size and the lines that we take, i've had many a conflict before because I took a mini roundabout a lot quicker and sharper than any cars do, so keep that in mind.

At the end of it, mini roundabouts are tricky, and stuff like this is bound to happen, the trick is to read the situation and have patience.

Appreciate the response - ill take it on board mate

Gaz

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Yes, you must submit all videos to this forum`s approval action committee before taking any further action.

It's about being a better rider , comments like Gaz's wouldn't reach me ,, had I not posted the video, however, his words make sense when I think about

WTF is your issue Pete ??????

subaqua

What’s the point
most drivers don't understand that you treat a mini roundabout the same as you do a normal roundabout. and the bus doesn't bend in the middle to go round the thing as gaz says it might have been harder for him to see you due to the positioning of yourself by the car on the approach.

would I have done the same- probably

400bhp

Guru
It's about being a better rider , comments like Gaz's wouldn't reach me ,, had I not posted the video, however, his words make sense when I think about

:thumbsup:

Let it go boss - drivers do make mistakes.

400bhp

Guru
most drivers don't understand that you treat a mini roundabout the same as you do a normal roundabout. and the bus doesn't bend in the middle to go round the thing as gaz says it might have been harder for him to see you due to the positioning of yourself by the car on the approach.

would I have done the same- probably

Potentially, he may have been obscured by his b-pillar too?

potsy

Rambler
I think Gaz has summed it up nicely, not my favourite things those mini rabs, always wary myself of them especially with a vehicle that big.
Best to give way and live to fight another day,stay safe Gaz(the op) :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
I shouted at van driver turning across my path last week. I forgot there was a mini r'about there. Most of the paint has rubbed off and it was dark. That's my excuse and I'm stcking to it. :whistle:

Mini roundabouts are fiddle.

Reactions: gaz

Norm

Have you got a head-light, Gaz? I've found that they help drivers to differentiate you from surrounding traffic more easily.

As for reporting the driver, I'm not sure as the bus entered the roundabout at the same time that you did. It is possible that he didn't see you (although there is an element of "victim blaming") there as you were tucked behind / beside the dark grey car and, even if he did see you, it's very unlikely that he could have seen that you were indicating.

Yes, you must submit all videos to this forum`s approval action committee before taking any further action.
why the apostrophe?
Because it should be there? :blink:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Best to give way and live to fight another day,stay safe Gaz(the op) :thumbsup:

I do that same roundabout going both ways on my commute gaz and it is pretty sh*te during peak times with continuous traffic flow from all directions. As has already been said, probably best not to try and negotiate it by the rules of what 'should' happen but to simply make sure you get across it safely. Not worth a trip to A&E to make your point!

It's even worse when it rains as a large 5-6ft wide puddle forms at the left side and because I am going left (as seen from your POV) I have to move to the right of the lane when there is a queue of cars & trucks trying to keep me pinned in to the kerb and then getting confused, so trying to undertake me as they think I am going right (despite signalling left!).

Just keep your wits about you and get home safely :smile:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Have you got a head-light, Gaz? I've found that they help drivers to differentiate you from surrounding traffic more easily.

As for reporting the driver, I'm not sure as the bus entered the roundabout at the same time that you did. It is possible that he didn't see you (although there is an element of "victim blaming") there as you were tucked behind / beside the dark grey car and, even if he did see you, it's very unlikely that he could have seen that you were indicating.

Because it should be there? :blink:

Norm

No, no head light ( only just using a helmet but that's another day :smile:) it's a good point and something I'll look into , how many $'s are we looking at ?

Top Bottom