SMIDSY by a copper tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup, I was hit by a Copper van tonight.

Travelling north on the A21 to home I was filtering on the right of two lanes of stationary traffic due to red lights. Lights turned green and traffic started moving. Suddenly I saw a van on my left turning right. I shouted out but he managed to clip me knocking me to the ground. Luckily I wasn't going too fast. Probs about 10-12mph, and he had only just started moving. Chap came running into the road to help me up and pick the bike up. He said that he witnessed the whole thing. Saying that the cop didn't indicate.

Copper said he did indicate but didn't see me. I said he must have been joking as I had two Hope Vision 1's and a flashing Smart 3-led up front, there would have been no way you wouldn't have seen me in your mirror. The witness backed up what I had said to the cop.

I asked the cop for an ambulance and for another cop so I could report the accident. Luckily it was half mile from Catford nick. So only had a short wait for another copper to arrive. Except it wasn't just one, it was 4 cops. As they were taking the statements from me, the cop and the witness, the paramedic turned up. He sat me down and checked me all over. I got a cut knee, scraped elbow, bruised cheek and sore ribs. Medic asked if I wanted to go to hospital but I said I was ok to continue and had my bike to get home. He took all my details and said that if I start to feel worse, dizzy or am sick go to A&E. He stayed with me observing until the cops had finished, checked me again then signed me off and went on his way.

I was then asked to give a breath test...first time for me. Negative of course, And I got to keep the tube...cop was given a breath test too.

The cop was genuinely sorry that he had hit me. But of course I said that it didn't excuse him not seeing me.

Checked the bike all over, not a scratch or a mark. Zero damage which is brilliant seeing as it's brand new and only in it's 3rd week of it commuting life. I cycled the 6 miles home. Feeling a bit battered and bruised but nowhere as near as my 'over the bonnet' crash a couple years back.

Checked the bike again once home in the light and not a scratch. Phew! Now just have the wifey fussing over me.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
My god! Rest up Ian. They should have seen you no question. I've seen some terrible driving from cops over the years.

400bhp

Guru
Hopefully all is OK with you and the bike has survived. :thumbsup:

I do find most non traffic cops are not very good drivers.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Jeez - is it something in the air at the moment. A copper too- shocking. Get well soon - no doubt you'll feel sore in the morning. Glad the bike's OK though :thumbsup:

col

Legendary Member
Glad all is well, but accidents happen, even the most well trained drivers sometimes miss things.
Now take advantage of the fussing and chill:thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
I'd suggest someone test riding your bike for a few months to make sure everything is OK.

I'll send you my address and you can post it up tomorrow. :whistle:

Top Bottom