SMIDSY by a copper tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Sounds like they were trying to get anything that might help cover his arse if there was a serious problem?

+1

I can kind of understand it though.

avsd

Guru
Sorry to hear about you and the new bike. Glad so both escaped with limited injury to yourself and none to the new bike. I think 400bhp has made a very considered and helpful offer to check your bike over:tongue:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Could he have refused to give a sample?
Yes. The request wasn't a legal requirement at all. If it did show a high level of alcohol it would only have been a factor if there was other evidence to suggest Ian's cycling was impaired by alcohol, but as the Cop told Ian he didn't see him, he is not in a position to allege poor standard of cycling.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1735356 said:
Was it by any chance phrased as an invitation or request to take the breath test?

Asked me if I had been drinking then said I am going to give you a breath test....and then went straight into the instructions. Being a bit disorientated with the accident and with all the cops, the paramedic and the witness around me I just went ahead. I have no problem with it.

kishan

not good mate main thing your ok and bike is ok and hey atleast the missus is pampering you so even a bonus lol

leemo

Commuter
I'd be outraged if I was asked to give a breath test in those circumstances and would refuse. Basically trying to get something to protect his colleague I'd say.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
'kin 'ell... What hope have we got if we're getting knocked off by the Police now???

Get well soon; where is this going to go? Are you going to make a complaint?

leemo

Commuter
I understand the breath test not being a legal requirement but your negative result removes one avenue of defence the police officer could use against

I'm not a lawyer but I dont think it would stand up in court. That is you can't infer that the person would have failed the test because the refused to take it when they are not required to take it. Otherwise what is the difference between being required to take the test and not?

Top Bottom