Smoked salmon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm in charge of getting smoked salmon for the traditional Christmas Day eve meal (lemon, black pepper, brown bread). To feed three, I don't need a whole side!!
...any recommendations of which to buy - really needs to be from a supermarket, not looking to buy online.
Can easily access Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, M&S. (edit, also Asda)
Online reviews seem to be very mixed!
Thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited:
I'm in charge of getting smoked salmon for the traditional Christmas Day eve meal (lemon, black pepper, brown bread). To feed three, I don't need a whole side!!
...any recommendations of which to buy - really needs to be from a supermarket, not looking to buy online.
Can easily access Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, M&S.
Online reviews seem to be very mixed!
Thanks in advance :smile:
A good fishmongers as they should let you try it.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Any Jewish deli's in your area ? All the nicest smoke salmon I've tasted have been from them. The supermarket stuff is fine and much of a muchness .

Tim Hall

I had some mild oak smoked fron Waitrose the other day. It wasn't particularly special. They had some poncey stuff fron Heston (Blumenthal, not M4 services) smoked over Lapsang Souchong, which sounds exactly what Heston would do. The Sainsbury taste the difference stuff was ok, if I recall correctly.

There aren't really any around here
Just looked on google maps in the area under your profile pic and there's a few around?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I buy smoked salmon occasionally.

Mixed experiences from supermarkets, some of it tastes very salty possibly to make it last even longer in the packet.

I've also had some which is too oily for my taste.

Which doesn't help Vickster, unless buying a couple of different ones and using the best would work in terns of being able to use up the second choice.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I buy smoked salmon occasionally.

Mixed experiences from supermarkets, some of it tastes very salty possibly to make it last even longer in the packet.

I've also had some which is too oily for my taste.

Which doesn't help Vickster, unless buying a couple of different ones and using the best would work in terns of being able to use up the second choice.
I could buy a few and eat myself between now and the 23rd...:hungry:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And in the time honoured forum spirit of not answering the question:

Have you thought about serving cold salmon fillet?

More reliable than smoked, and I think just as tasty.

Top Bottom