Smoked salmon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Waitrose or M&S otherwise a local fishmonger for me personally.

you could always try online, people like Donald Russell butchers also sell fish.

or possibly https://www.johnrossjr.com/cat/smoked-salmon

my personal favorite, is salmon on toast with a dash of cayenne pepper :smile:
Can't be bothered trying to organise online
A specific one from Waitrose or M&S?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Smoked salmon is - by definition - not fresh, so this isn't really relevant.

(and I think they might freeze it first anyway, to kill pathogens. When making gravadlax you're advised to find salmon that has already been commercially frozen. Domestic freezers aren't cold enough to kill everything.)
Looks like most supermarket stuff has been frozen and then defrosted...as Tesco state... Keep refrigerated. Once opened, consume within 2 days and by 'use by' date,shown.,This product was previously frozen and has been restored to chill temperatures,under carefully controlled conditions. Defrosted: It is still suitable for home,freezing

Globalti

Legendary Member
Many years ago in a moment of generosity and gratitude I bought an expensive slab of smoked salmon at the airport for my neighbour in thanks for them looking after my batchelor pad while I was away on business trips. Handed it over and a few days later I saw Kevin and asked him if they had enjoyed it. "Well," he replied, "We didn't rightly know what do do with it so we grilled it and had it on toast. It were reet good though!"

Some time later I bought a bottle of Scotch for them as a Christmas present. I saw the son Jamie in the garden so asked him what brand they liked. "Eeeh, I don't know.... it's the one with the duck on the label!"

U

User482

I do my own hot smoked salmon. It takes a while, but is not difficult and tastes fantastic.

1. Buy a good quality whole salmon and have the fishmonger fillet it.
2. Dry cure the fillets. I use 75% salt and 25% brown sugar, covering the salmon completely on both sides. You could add other flavourings if you like. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for a few hours.
3. Rinse off the cure very thoroughly (change the water a few times) and allow the fillets to dry completely. You can speed this up with a desk fan.
4. The smoker. You can buy one or make one with a metal biscuit tin and a cake rack inside, placed over a heat source such as a meths burner or camping stove.
5. Do it outside unless you've got RichP's cooker hood.
6. Sprinkle wood chips over the base of the smoker. You want hard wood, I use a mix of oak and beech. Light the burner.
7. When the wood starts to smoke, lower the temperature and place the fillets in the tin. Put the lid on. Check about every 20 minutes until they're cooked through. My smoker takes about an hour.
8. Allow the fillets to cool. Remove the pinbones with tweezers. You're done.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5077871, member: 43827"]I must admit to not enjoying anywhere as a shopping experience, full stop. But at least Aldi/Lidl are small and inexpensive with as good quality as the others, but, more importantly, they are small and quick to get around and out.[/QUOTE]
They're chaotic though with too few tills and staff (with no self check out option to speed the process). I've never actually found them any cheaper than say Asda (or specials in other supermarkets) and the choice is limited. I usually have plenty of time to browse a shop but don't want to spend it queuing waiting to pay! Lidl is closer (still 3 or 4 miles) but I have found their fruit and veg poor quality and it's all prepackaged. Aldi I have less experience of as the closest is 5 miles away.
Big Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco, M&S and a Little Waitrose all within a mile. The big supermarkets are all open until 11pm (if not all night) so I can go shop when they are less busy (and hopefully devoid of children)
:smile:

Ciar

Veteran
Can't be bothered trying to organise online
A specific one from Waitrose or M&S?

I would pick the Scottish ones over anything else they have personally, but in all honesty i was just picking the two stores i would buy it from, that's if you ever caught me in a supermarket!!!! :biggrin:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I ended up going for these in Morrisons as two options (one may not make it to Xmas day :hungry: )

Thanks for all the suggestions

214170011_0_640x640.jpg

408303.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I had some mild oak smoked fron Waitrose the other day. It wasn't particularly special. They had some poncey stuff fron Heston (Blumenthal, not M4 services) smoked over Lapsang Souchong, which sounds exactly what Heston would do. The Sainsbury taste the difference stuff was ok, if I recall correctly.

You could be onto something there, a range of Heston Services goods available through supermarkets, etc. Box of teabag £5, microwave beans on toast £10 (heat on low for authentic tepidity), voucher for petrol £1.50/ltr. That kind of shite.

Top Bottom