Smoked salmon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agree with other comments that supermarkets stuff is much of a muchness. All of it is farmed salmon. This makes a HUGE difference.

My suggestion would be open a good bottle of champagne, drink it, then open another* and have that with the salmon - this will improve whichever salmon you end up getting from whichever purveyor you choose!!!

*more may be required depending on number of guests.

I once made gravadlax. Not much work, just need room in the fridge. It was very nice and cheap to make.

btw, I don't think there is a kosher/jewish deli in Twickenham.
Edit: but there is Sandy's fish monger ..... they might have something good.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Agree with other comments that supermarkets stuff is much of a muchness. All of it is farmed salmon. This makes a HUGE difference.

My suggestion would be open a good bottle of champagne, drink it, then open another* and have that with the salmon - this will improve whichever salmon you end up getting from whichever purveyor you choose!!!

*more may be required depending on number of guests.
three of us, none of us drink much. The fizzy wine is usually drunk before lunch. I'll be driving in eve so won't have much if anything after lunch

A variation on the Toast/Lemon/Black Pepper is a dollop of 'Philadelphia' Cheese on the (cold) toast as well with the Salmon on top, that's my 'Christmas Brekkie'.

If going down the cream cheese route, dispense with toast and use bagels for the full kosher flavour.
And don't forget the champagne, a great way to start any breakfast, not just on 25 dec!!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I once made gravadlax. Not much work, just need room in the fridge. It was very nice and cheap to make.

btw, I don't think there is a kosher/jewish deli in Twickenham.
Edit: but there is Sandy's fish monger ..... they might have something good.
Yes I meant the fishmonger

Gravadlax, nah...has to be just smoked salmon, no dill

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If going down the cream cheese route, dispense with toast and use bagels for the full kosher flavour.
And don't forget the champagne, a great way to start any breakfast, not just on 25 dec!!
This is dinner not breakfast...salmon+lemon+black pepper+brown bread...no bagels or any of that foreign stuff (Scottish is as foreign as we'll go :whistle: )

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
A pity - as I'd have suggested getting some gravadlax from IKEA. It's not bad at all - particularly for the price.
See above ref Gravadlax...straight salmon, no green bits ;)

Ikea's not really in Croydon so I do go there if I absolutely have to!

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
After watching a tv program about 'fresh' fish at supermarkets a while back, I refuse to buy from them now. A quick google shows that Iceland & Asda are rated as best for Salmon, but that's a Daily Fail article so not sure of accuracy :laugh: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...ermarkets-selling-freshest-fish-revealed.html

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
And in the time honoured forum spirit of not answering the question:

Have you thought about serving cold salmon fillet?

More reliable than smoked, and I think just as tasty.
That's Boxing Day lunch :smile:

This is Christmas day eve snack

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bagels. xx(

Nice crispy toasted Brown Bread cut into 4 triangular pieces. :hungry: :mrpig:, can't fault you on the 'bubbly' although we do prefer Cava.

Top Bottom