Smoked salmon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I do my own hot smoked salmon. It takes a while, but is not difficult and tastes fantastic.

So do I. Similar recipe, but not quite the same. I smoke it with tea.

1. Large fillet of salmon, maybe whole side. Mix up 1 cup salt with 1 cup sugar. Cover the fish liberally. Leave in fridge overnight.
2. Next day, the salt/sugar mix will have drawn lots of water out of the fish, which will have turned a shade darker. Rinse off salt/sugar mix.
3. Smoke it. To do this, get some large pieces of tinfoil - the widest you can find, or join some bits together side by side using clever origami. Place the tinfoil in an old baking tray, and put a metal rack on top - the tray from the grill pan is ideal.
4. Get some Lapsang Souchong tea. Loose if you can get it, but the contents of about a dozen tea bags will do the job. Sprinkle that on the foil, underneath the rack.
5. Place the salmon on the rack, skin side down. Fold the foil up to make a sealed “tent” around the fish, with room for the smoke to circulate. Make sure the “tent”is completely sealed.
6. Take it outside, sit it on top of a hot barbecue for about 15-20 mins. A disposable barbie works fine! Take it off the heat, allow it to cool before opening (depending on how smokey you like it)
7. Serve with french bread and ginger butter.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
All rather more effort than opening a packet for an Xmas day snack ;)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We had some Tesco Finest a couple of years ago and found it quite bland and lacking in flavour. The dog enjoyed his bit though.

We tried Morrison's 'The Best' Scottish Smoked Salmon last year (the one in the pic above) and it was much better, although that did mean that the dog's portion was considerably reduced. Poor dog.

You know the best thing to do with local knowledge is find a local with great taste.

I know just person who can help who lives your side of the river and I’m sure can help.

@User do you know anyone local to you with good taste?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whatever you choose, make sure it's wild salmon. Farmed salmon is an ecological disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/01/is-farming-salmon-bad-for-the-environment

Top Bottom