Smoked salmon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only £70/kg! The Guardian lied to me! quite different to £20-35/200g quoted.

Showing as not available. I wonder if that's just online, temporarily out stock or discontinued?

(now tempted to get some fresh wild salmon and make a soupçon of sugared cured)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Only £70/kg! The Guardian lied to me! quite different to £20-35/200g quoted.

Showing as not available. I wonder if that's just online, temporarily out stock or discontinued?

(now tempted to get some fresh wild salmon and make a soupçon of sugared cured)
I think that’s a fairly normal price. A finest or whatever Farmed is a fiver or more for around 100g

subaqua

What’s the point
I know the stuff has been bought by the OP..

But I have to say that H. Forman does the most amazing London cure smoked salmon ...

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've sampled the big fish one between a few slices of very fresh brown bread, perfectly tasty, and the slices came apart nicely

Can't do scrambled egg with smoked fish as I can't eat egg in any form without ketchup and ketchup and smoked fish, blech!

I once made gravadlax. Not much work, just need room in the fridge. It was very nice and cheap to make.

btw, I don't think there is a kosher/jewish deli in Twickenham.
Edit: but there is Sandy's fish monger ..... they might have something good.

That's exactly what I do. It's very much fish on Xmas eve here chez Casa Reynard.

I buy half a side of salmon (that's 500g of fillet in Tesco - on YS of course LOL) and then cure it a la Hairy Bikers from their "12 Days of Christmas" book. Well worth doing and so much nicer than anything you can buy. And cheaper. You pay around £4 for 150g of cured / smoked salmon, and for £7.90 (that's what half a side is in Tesco) you will have more than enough to eat your fill without being stingy.

All you need to do is work out the proportion of salt, sugar and pepper according to the weight of your fish, and then you can tweak the rest of your curing mix to suit your tastes. I usually use dill and some ground cumin as well., though you don't have to. If you do it straight away, you'll have it ready for Xmas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom