Smooth new tarmac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Our local councils have already started repairing the roads which next year's Tour de France peloton will be using. Apparently, it is okay for Yorkshire cyclists to have to put up with them being rutted and potholed for 10 years or more, but when the world's TV cameras are due to arrive, the money is suddenly found to fix the roads. Strange, that ... :whistle:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Round here they paint Rice Krispies black and pour them into the potholes to set.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Not sure whether it's worth the diversion (!) but Camberwell New Rd (so far only if your heading from Oval to Camberwell Green, the other side hasn't been done yet:wacko:), Caitlin Rd in Bermondsey and one I can't remember the name of cutting through the backstreets to Brixton. It's one I've cited in the past for being the worst for potholes.
I'm surprised tho', seems to be a little money sloshing around for roadworks.

I pass close by but normally through Oval towards Kennington or Stockwell. Sometimes do a Brixton route in the mornings instead of through Balham, Clapham and so forth but it's rare. They do sometimes spunk any remaining budget on roadworks, before the end of the year. Always see a lot, during the run up to the festive season.

compo

Veteran
Our local councils have already started repairing the roads which next year's Tour de France peloton will be using. Apparently, it is okay for Yorkshire cyclists to have to put up with them being rutted and potholed for 10 years or more, but when the world's TV cameras are due to arrive, the money is suddenly found to fix the roads. Strange, that ... :whistle:

I hope they do a better job than our lot. Round here they patch the road and within a week the filling has disappeared back to a pothole.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The majority of the road from Huddersfield, through Holmfirth and over Holme Moss has been resurfaced (or extensively repaired).

I suspect it's all for the benefit of a few people on bikes next year...... most of them bloody foreigners - and they dont pay road tax!!!!!!!!!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You people are so lucky. Road construction over here consists of putting a camber on the road with dirt and then spraying on some tar and sprinkling with chippings, unless the Chinese do it and then it's a proper job!

winjim

Smash the cistern
They're currently doing the whole of Sheffield. Bliss. Although the adjacent authorities aren't doing theirs so the lovely smooth roads give way to potholes and gravel just as you get out into the Peak District (ie anywhere worth actually cycling). Of course I don't expect them to keep up with the maintenance so in five years time it'll be back to the moniker of Pothole City.

Top Bottom