Snake Pass Closed Monday 23 to Friday 27 October 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Public Service Announcement from your Glossop correspondent

Snake Pass will be closed to traffic to sort out yet more landslip problems. I'm not sure if it will be passable by bicycle but it was last time

Pity it's only midweek but if you get the chance and the weather is OK it's a great ride. The traffic free stretch is about 11 miles from Glossop to Ladybower Reservoir. Setting off from Glossop, over the Snake, have a ride around Edale/Castleton/Hathersage, back over the Snake. would be a great option

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hmmmm! I finish work on Sunday and not back in until the Friday night.........

:highfive:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I drove up from Gloucester and did this one the last time @nickyboy told us about a closure of that road. Had a brilliant day out in Edale and climbed Mam Nick and descended Winnats Pass as well as doing the Snake Pass in both directions without having to worry about traffic. Loved the climbs and was able to take a racing line on the descents. If the road is passable to cyclists this time, I can certainly recommend the experience.

classic33

Leg End Member
Snake.jpg

Access for works and Emergency Vehicles only

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And if they are doing the whole width, with it being shut?
If I have to turn back not exactly the end of the world is it? Not like I would be going anywhere important.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
View attachment 379589
Access for works and Emergency Vehicles only

That was exactly the same notice last time. I just cycled up to the guy turning back cars on the morning it closed and asked him if I could cycle up there. No problem providing I watched out for service vehicles

If it's same as last time then there is no problem at all in cycling

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That was exactly the same notice last time. I just cycled up to the guy turning back cars on the morning it closed and asked him if I could cycle up there. No problem providing I watched out for service vehicles

If it's same as last time then there is no problem at all in cycling
So the plan is we meet at yours for coffee and a bacon butty, then head off for a quick 40-50 miles? Ace

presta

Guru
I had hundreds of spectators the first time I went over the Snake road, I suspect that they were there to watch the Tour of Britain though. By the time the rest of the pack came through I was sat eating butties in the bus shelter at Hathersage. I don't know what kept them. :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just looking out of the window at the sunshine......
upload_2017-10-25_9-6-48.png

BBC weather are backing up the view so it must be true?

I just googled to check the closure has actually happened before I set off and came across this lazy piece of journalism....
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/part-snake-pass-closed-week-13797680
Can anyone confirm the names of the roads pictured because although they do look a little familiar I am certain they are not pictures of the Snake Pass! :rolleyes:

Anyway, see you in a couple of hours. I may or may not have some pictures of an empty road when I return :hello:

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-25_9-7-36.png
    upload_2017-10-25_9-7-36.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 37

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I won't write a full report but mostly let the pictures do the talking......

upload_2017-10-25_14-7-35.png

upload_2017-10-25_14-9-2.png

upload_2017-10-25_14-9-48.png

upload_2017-10-25_14-10-41.png

Lots of work going on at various points along the route like wall repairs, tree cutting, clearing drainage and small surface repairs. I couldn't resist stopping to take a picture of this fabulous Mog :becool:
upload_2017-10-25_14-11-29.png

I rode as far as the café & carpark at Fairholmes in the Derwent Valley. Shocking but true, they do bacon, sausage, bacon & sausage butties but no eggs! I had to have something but an egg butty without an egg just isn't right! :mrpig:
upload_2017-10-25_14-12-20.png

This is the innocent looking repair that made the road closure necessary. It looks bigger in the picture than it does in real life, probably only the area of 4 generous car parking spaces and looked as if it was all done and dusted by Tuesday night.
upload_2017-10-25_14-13-5.png

Total ride was 45 hilly miles door to door and was very pleasant to have the road so quiet, even though the cars on this road never bother me normally. I have to admit I just didn't enjoy the climbing today at all. It felt hard, I was sweating and just not getting the usual grin factor I feel on a good day of climbing :sad:. I wonder if I am coming down with something? Youngest son is rough with swollen tonsils and also pretty unwell so maybe I am next.......

Top Bottom