Snake Pass closed to traffic....again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My usual public service broadcast

Snake Pass is closed to vehicles 7pm to 6am from July 22 to August 3. The whole stretch from Glossop to Ladybower Reservoirs. 10 miles traffic free with amazing views and loads of wildlife (just watch out for sheep)

Thinking about it, a night ride would be amazing. Just be careful because there is resurfacing work going on

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Interesting. Could be a good overnight ride, Snake Pass then back via the Cat and Fiddle.

Not sure where the start / finish would be though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Assassin!

It nearly finished me off last time ... :laugh:

This is what the profile looked like from here to the top of Snake Pass and back.

Holme Moss Snake Pass loop profile.gif

(Hmm - it would make an extremely tough imperial century if I rode down to Ladybower before turning round... :whistle:)

Traffic free, or not, the 'Snake' is a heck of a ride (particularly eastwards from Glossop)

@ColinJ
Add in a side-order of Mortimer Road??
(better known as The Strines)

One early 90's ride, with support from g/f - as her little brother was with us, & she wasn't sure I if I was joking when I said we'd try to lose him:angel:
(wife since 97)

Snake Pass. dsgddfl.jpg

My buddy Nick rode his Kona (Explosif?) on slicks
Snake Pass. dsgfl.jpg

I had an Orbit America back then
Mortimer Road. 2.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Traffic free, or not, the 'Snake' is a heck of a ride (particularly eastwards from Glossop)

@ColinJ
In 2007 I cycled down to Coventry from Hebden Bridge to visit my elderly mum. I stayed with her for a week and then cycled back. About 230 km (142 miles) each way with around 4,000 m (13,000 ft) of ascent. Out via Holme Moss and Snake Pass. Snake Pass was closed for resurfacing when I came to cycle back so I went via the Strines instead. (I usually ignore closures because it is normally possible to get by on a bike, but I didn't fancy riding all the way up from Ladybower and then finding that I had to turn round again!)

@Richard A Thackeray , did you do Strines as a FRC run, it was a regular club run to Castleton, back via Hathersage, a good Sunday morning ride.

No, I never did
It was generally a solo ride, or a small group (5 max)

KneesUp

Guru
I heard curlew up there last time they closed it - it was the same section as I recall. I also saw someone riding a horse. Whenever I drive it now I think how amazing it would be if they closed if one weekend every summer between Sheffield and Glossop for like a cycling carnival.

I'll go for a potter some time, but if it stays this hot I think I'll bail at the top (I'd be coming from Sheffield) rather than descend into Glossop and turn around.

KneesUp

Guru

@ColinJ

One early 90's ride, with support from g/f - as her little brother was with us, & she wasn't sure I if I was joking when I said we'd try to lose him:angel:
(wife since 97)

View attachment 476764

My buddy Nick rode his Kona (Explosif?) on slicks
View attachment 476765

I had an Orbit America back then
View attachment 476763
Nice - it used to be a lot quieter I think. I rode my road bike back from University in Sheffield to my parents in Manchester he mid-90s as I couldn't be bothered working out how to book it on a train. My pedal bearings fell out after about 1/3 distance. I didn't even have a water bottle - I bought a pie and a bottle of water in Glossop. It was harder work for my mate who did it on an MTB with knobblies, just for kicks - he took his bike back on the train the next day.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My usual public service broadcast

Snake Pass is closed to vehicles 7pm to 6am from July 22 to August 3. The whole stretch from Glossop to Ladybower Reservoirs. 10 miles traffic free with amazing views and loads of wildlife (just watch out for sheep)

Thinking about it, a night ride would be amazing. Just be careful because there is resurfacing work going on

Wow, fabulous bit of tarmac

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Update:

Rode up the Snake this evening. They close the road at 7pm so it takes a while for all the traffic to clear through. By 7.20 it was empty. When I was descending back into Glossop there were about 20 cyclists heading up to the top.

I had a chat with the guys stopping traffic at the bottom of Snake Pass in Glossop. Apparently there is road resurfacing on the Sheffield side of the Snake Pass Inn. It doesn't sound rideable on the resurfacing bit but you can walk that section and then carry on

KneesUp

Guru
Sounds like it’s the bit of road where there are always landslides? I guess they have to close it as there are no turn offs in that whole section.

Top Bottom