Snake Pass Scheduled to be closed to vehicles from 12/10 for two weeks: Update - no cyclists allowed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Roads on the Snake Pass have a habit of sliding off the hills so every few years they need the landslips repairing

I understand that the Snake will be closed from 12 October for two weeks to repair the landslip just over the summit on the Yorkshire side (there's been temp lights there for months)

Vehicle closure will probably be Glossop to Ladybower reservoir which is about 10 miles. It's a great ride at any time and vehicle free it's amazing

I'll post updates when I hear them

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm... I enjoyed doing it LAST TIME but I'm nowhere near fit enough to do it this year without cheating and starting in Glossop! :laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Roads on the Snake Pass have a habit of sliding off the hills so every few years they need the landslips repairing

I understand that the Snake will be closed from 12 October for two weeks to repair the landslip just over the summit on the Yorkshire side (there's been temp lights there for months)

Vehicle closure will probably be Glossop to Ladybower reservoir which is about 10 miles. It's a great ride at any time and vehicle free it's amazing

I'll post updates when I hear them
Hmm... I enjoyed doing it LAST TIME but I'm nowhere near fit enough to do it this year without cheating and starting in Glossop! :laugh:
Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoyed it last time, though I cheated by starting in Glossop! Really enjoyed climbing it in both directions without any traffic, and throwing in Mam Nick for good measure. Might even do it again if no Covid restrictions in place.

Shreds

Thanks. A good opportunity. May put in forty miles to get there beforehand though. Hope the pubs and cafes can stay open for sustenance.

straas

Matt
Hi Nick - just pulled up the closure order and seems to say bikes won't be allowed on?

Does also say they'll maintain access where possible, so may still be possible?

1600679088510.png

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi Nick - just pulled up the closure order and seems to say bikes won't be allowed on?

Does also say they'll maintain access where possible, so may still be possible?

View attachment 548354
That's exactly the same notice we got last time (it was about 3 years ago I think) and cyclists were not prevented. They put a roadblock in at the base of the Snake Pass out of Glossop (and another near Ladybower reservoir on the other side) and an employee turns cars etc around. But they definitely let cyclists through.

Having said that, maybe the roadworks are more complex this time. I'd be very surprised if you can't at least wheel the bike around the main roadwork stretch just over the summit. The rest of the 21km seems fine to me although they usually take the opportunity to do a bit of patching up at the same time

Obviously as soon as the closure comes into effect I'll ride it and let folk know.

Sounds fun. Pretty scary road to cycle on normally though, full of boy racers in hot hatches and motorbikers driving/riding like idiots.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds fun. Pretty scary road to cycle on normally though, full of boy racers in hot hatches and motorbikers driving/riding like idiots.
Not really. I think I hold the record ATM for most ascents.... About 180 in last 7 years. Normally the key is to avoid rush hour when everyone is in a hurry. I do that and I've probably only had one or two real dick head moments

Hopefully cyclists will be permitted... It's a full 20km end to end with breathtaking views. The climb out of Glossop isn't too hard..... About 3 miles at 6.5% so you can twiddle up it and enjoy the scenery or you can turn yourself inside out of you wish

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Any chance of removing the constant headwind as well as the vehicles? It's not steep from Glossop, but almost every time I've done it, it's been a constant sufferfest into a gale.

I've never done it the other way, vehicle free descent to Gossip would be fab. Though probably into a hurricane knowing my luck.

Top Bottom