Snake Pass Scheduled to be closed to vehicles from 12/10 for two weeks: Update - no cyclists allowed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Any chance of removing the constant headwind as well as the vehicles? It's not steep from Glossop, but almost every time I've done it, it's been a constant sufferfest into a gale.

I've never done it the other way, vehicle free descent to Gossip would be fab. Though probably into a hurricane knowing my luck.
Prevailing wind is a tailwind from Glossop so you've been unlucky (Snake Pass runs NW to SE). It's very rarely still conditions so you'll almost certainly have a headwind in one direction but it's less exposed coming from the Sheffield side except the last half mile to the top

With an Easterly, the descent into Glossop is really fast...I've managed 50mph a few times and the road is wide and easy...except the last bend round the golf course where you need to stick the anchors on!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Prevailing wind is a tailwind from Glossop so you've been unlucky (Snake Pass runs NW to SE). It's very rarely still conditions so you'll almost certainly have a headwind in one direction but it's less exposed coming from the Sheffield side except the last half mile to the top

With an Easterly, the descent into Glossop is really fast...I've managed 50mph a few times and the road is wide and easy...except the last bend round the golf course where you need to stick the anchors on!
Pah - who needs anchors! :whistle:

I just found this video taken by longboarders during the last road closure...

:eek::notworthy:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have ridden the snake many times at various times of the day (probably not rush hour, but that's just common sense) and never been upset or unsettled by the traffic. Last time I went over was in the dark at 5am and was expecting to be subjected to a barrage of early morning commuters and delivery vans but it was surprisingly quiet actually.

Not that bothered about riding it when shut, might do it if the moment arrives but no big plan to do so. It's almost on my doorstep so can do it anytime.

And brains the size of plums...? :whistle: :laugh:

They obviously knew what they were doing but I wouldn't fancy the risks!

I'd do 80-90 kph (~50-55 mph) on a bike down there but that's about my limit these days.
I thought it was realtuvely* sensible, until they got back to houses + parked_cars

View: https://youtu.be/ATWOLWLNrhA?t=244

*I've done sillier descending on the bike. At my own risk of course.

Following. I might like to have a crack at it next weekend but I’ll keep an eye on things and gauge if anyone else goes before and has no trouble getting through

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Following. I might like to have a crack at it next weekend but I’ll keep an eye on things and gauge if anyone else goes before and has no trouble getting through
I can see the Snake Pass from my house. It's closed now, no traffic on it
Someone has already posted a ride over it from Sheffield side this morning. I'll keep an eye on whether there are any cyclists going over from the Glossop side. May pop over to where the road is shut (the Royal Oak, opposite the Golf Club) and have a chat with whoever is manning the roadblock

I can see the Snake Pass from my house. It's closed now, no traffic on it
Someone has already posted a ride over it from Sheffield side this morning. I'll keep an eye on whether there are any cyclists going over from the Glossop side. May pop over to where the road is shut (the Royal Oak, opposite the Golf Club) and have a chat with whoever is manning the roadblock
Yeah I’m wanting to hit it from Glossop to chalk off the official climb segment. Maybe pick up another in Hathersage while I’m that way on.....

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah I’m wanting to hit it from Glossop to chalk off the official climb segment. Maybe pick up another in Hathersage while I’m that way on.....
Once you're over the top (it's about 3 miles of 6.5%) there is a great descent to Ladybower. After that, the worlds your oyster. You've got the Strines, the various climbs out of Hathersage, Winnats Pass if you're feeling brave or Edale with Mam Nick

There are two official climb segments from Glossop. The first is the full climb from the mini roundabout exiting Glossop which has about a km of false flat, the second is the official Hill Climb segment which starts at the steeper bit (surprise, surprise) at the Royal Oak/Golf Club junction

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
An update.......

There are signs up saying "No Cyclists"

...but there are cyclists riding up and down the Snake Pass and nobody is bothered. At least today they're not. It's been a miserable wet day so I've not been out but will probably give it a go tomorrow. I think you just have to be sensible around the roadwork sections

Top Bottom