snakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Without being alarmist wasn't there a case last year of two children staying at their grandparents being asphyxiated by a python, I do love the feel of a snake, but there is just something about them that I wouldn't want to care for one.
When they coil around your neck people think you die from been asphyxiation but they actually cut off the blood supply to the brain & it’s the following cardiac arrest that is fatal.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When they coil around your neck people think you die from been asphyxiation but they actually cut off the blood supply to the brain & it’s the following cardiac arrest that is fatal.
A pretty academic point to the deceased.

D

Deleted member 26715

Actually thought they wrapped around the body which stopped the food from breathing but happy to be corrected

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Used to. I’ve had an Eastern Grass snake, House Snake and a Horned Night Adder. The latter required an anti-serum to be kept in the fridge.

We (kids and I) now have a Spur Thighed Tortoise and a Bearded Dragon. I would gladly let them have a ‘beginners’ Snake like a corn snake if it ever took their fancy and they displayed complete respect for the animal like they have with all the others.

I quite fancy a chameleon of some sort for a change.

Milzy

Guru
Used to. I’ve had an Eastern Grass snake, House Snake and a Horned Night Adder. The latter required an anti-serum to be kept in the fridge.

We (kids and I) now have a Spur Thighed Tortoise and a Bearded Dragon. I would gladly let them have a ‘beginners’ Snake like a corn snake if it ever took their fancy and they displayed complete respect for the animal like they have with all the others.

The night adder will cause swelling & pain. Not lethal though & even small dogs survive.
My barons racer is rear fanged & has a similar kind of bite. He doesn’t bite & I hope it stays that way.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The night adder will cause swelling & pain. Not lethal though & even small dogs survive.
My barons racer is rear fanged & has a similar kind of bite. He doesn’t bite & I hope it stays that way.

Fairly accurate. This was an African species and in the days when anti venom wasn’t fully understood. In fact more damage could be done by the anti venom.

I was bitten by a very small, female European adder on the Gower Peninsular (not a euphemism) I ignored it based on the knowledge I had. In the morning I woke up with blood blisters on my fingers, toes, lips and nostrils.

To place myself on the annual stupidity scale, only about 100 people in the U.K. a year get bitten.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i was once driving
my van in west wales, on the outskirts of
Ysyradgynlais if anyone one knows it, only to spot a long (3 to 4 feet !) green snake sidewinding up the road - and I do mean sidewinding just like american rattlers ! Anyhow, stopped the van and picked up the snake with a karrymat I had in the back and slung him in the hedge so he wasn't run over. He clearly wasnt an adder nor a slow worm but I'd never seen a grass snake, so despite being most likely a grass snake was reluctant to pick up someone's escaped green mamba. He was a whopper for all that, grass snake or escaped mamba

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Fairly accurate. This was an African species and in the days when anti venom wasn’t fully understood. In fact more damage could be done by the anti venom.

I was bitten by a very small, female European adder on the Gower Peninsular (not a euphemism) I ignored it based on the knowledge I had. In the morning I woke up with blood blisters on my fingers, toes, lips and nostrils.

To place myself on the annual stupidity scale, only about 100 people in the U.K. a year get bitten.
Haha,
There’s quite a few mild venomous species in the trade which don’t require a licence.
Some of which still send people to A&E.
Boiga dendrophila, commonly called the mangrove snake. It’s beautiful but seen some bad reactions. Some of it will depend on the person. I’ve seen nasty swelling even from little tiny hog nose bites.

Julia9054

Guru
Always loved reptiles. Desperate for a pet snake as a kid but my mum put her foot down . Compromised with a couple of Italian wall lizards instead. Reluctantly admitted that they made rather dull pets for a kid. When they died, i got gerbils instead which were a bit more interactive!

Julia9054

Guru
Zimbabweans are quite suspicious of chameleons. Which I can understand - they are a bit freaky. The Zimbabwean equivalent of "wasp in classroom destroys lesson" was when a chameleon was sitting on top of a girl's schoolbag and the entire class was screaming hysterically! The damn thing was black with anger and hissing it's head off. I calmly picked it up and put it in a nearby bush which earned me no end of cudos for my "immense bravery"!

colly

Re member eR
One of my sons had a couple of geckos when he was a young teenager, and he would buy large black crickets for them to eat.

102bd467d3e2d5990b24acadebf81be8.jpg

Of course being a teenager the place he kept the crickets in wasn't secure and the very first night they got out and into the house. Walking to the loo during the night was like taking a stroll in the bloody jungle. :cursing:
To make matters worse we were doing lots of work on the house at the time and they got under the floor boards too.
Mrs Colly's sister came to stay and she is petrified of spiders. So sat at the kitchen table one morning one of the little blighters found just the right spot to wriggle through a gap by the ceiling light. It plopped right down in front of the said sister.
She is a big woman, not given to any kind of exertion.

Who knew she could move that fast ??

Top Bottom