Snapped Rear Gear Cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
You won't get two sprocket widths of adjustment without screwing both adjusters up leaving you nowhere to go if you subsequently need to make a further minor adjustment ie at some later date. I said 'may need to' in the same way @Tin Pot said 'assuming' and 'might have enough' and @potsy said 'may'. Release (undo) the cable clamp bolt - cable is loose; middle (both) adjusters may only be the one at the RD; align the RD jockey wheel/chain with the small sprocket, unscrewing the H limit screw as necessary, tension/tighten (but no more) the cable and clamp it; check it drops back onto the small sprocket; and adjust.

Mistaken for @Tim Hall

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But assuming the mech could reach the smallest and largest sprockets before the cable broke and the limit screws weren't twiddled as part of the get-you-home bodge or during the fitting of the new cable, there should be no reason to fiddle with the limit screws now.

@summerdays , you might have enough scope in the cable adjuster(s) on the gear lever and on the mech. If you have, loosen them to see if that does the trick. Then go for loosening the cable at the clamp bolt. Indexing, as you say, should be done with the chain on the smallest sprocket, then work from there.
Well I didn't realise I could do it from that far away but I've succeeded in getting all 9 working gears, thou not completely smooth, just slightly clunky when changing up at the moment, so nearly there, thanks for the suggestion that it might be possible!

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
This is why 'rapid rise' derailleurs should be the norm. It also means both shifters work the same way as each other instead of the opposite way around. I just don't know why they have not been more widely adopted.

Top Bottom