Snow.........is coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Not often I get to hijack a snow thread with an earthquake, so I'm going to milk it a teeny bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31032930

I have to agree with the link that @slowmotion posted about the Met Office / BBC being alarmist, it is a rare day when there isn't a weather alert issued by the Met Office for somewhere in the UK. It's January, it's winter, what exactly are we expecting? Not an earthquake that's for sure.
I never felt a thing.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Snowing steady here at the moment (SE Lakes, Cumbria).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not often I get to hijack a snow thread with an earthquake, so I'm going to milk it a teeny bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31032930

I have to agree with the link that @slowmotion posted about the Met Office / BBC being alarmist, it is a rare day when there isn't a weather alert issued by the Met Office for somewhere in the UK. It's January, it's winter, what exactly are we expecting? Not an earthquake that's for sure.

Same here re alarm-ism. Fed up with it.

We plan our days around the weather and time after time we have had dire weather forecasts and the weather has been ok and not as predicted.

With the theatrics of some of the weather-people I'm convinced that the weather is becoming light entertainment - I'd prefer it without all the facial expressions and wild hand movements etc.

potsy

Rambler
Gridlocked around Macclesfield. People and cars sliding around everywhere. :laugh:
Just been for a walk and for a while traffic on the main road was hardly moving.
Through the park, slushy road, small cars managing without too much trouble, then comes a nobber in a Range Rover never seen such awful driving, high revs no traction, slip sliding all the way :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Apparently cars are stuck and abandoned in the Bredbury Romiley area. Schools closed. Looking forward to the ride home. Not much in Central Manchester. I arrived at work just as the snow hit.

It tried showing again here but is now melting again... Almost sunny now!
And I can hear aeroplanes again, so it must be improving!
DSC_0021.JPG

jhawk

Veteran
A lot of years ago I worked on ships going up the St.Lawrence to Montreal. Had the pilot walk out to the ship over the ice a couple of times :smile:.
I used to get odd looks from the stevedores by standing on the deck in T-shirt and shorts when it was snowing. They didn't realise I was standing in front of an engine room door in a blast of hot air coming through it.

Brilliant! I remember during my first winter here, when I walked across a river to an old Native American burial ground on the far side. That was a surreal experience. 'I'm walking on water. I'm Jesus!'

jhawk

Veteran
Was in the car with the old man the other night, driving home. The visibility was so bad, that you could only see the taillights of the car in front of you. And then he turned off.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
= about 50mph on the tops. I'm betting on the Snake Pass closing around 10pm tonight and not reopening until Sunday at the earliest.
I was spot on re timing, I'm getting better at this. Twitter full of stories of folk stranded in Snake Pass Inn. Taking that road (which tops ou at more than 1600ft) was a bit stupid last night
I'd check your sources mate. I was up there earlier today and it was fine.......
upload_2015-1-29_13-47-47.png

upload_2015-1-29_13-48-19.png

:ninja:

Top Bottom