Snowdrop and Sunrise Express. Now Booking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
A big thanks to all those riders that participated in the Snowdrop and Sunrise Express Audaxes last Saturday.

I can honestly say that Lisa and I enjoyed running the event - and your kind comments made it all the better.

Anyway, here is a brief run down:

The worry about running such an event at this time of year was the threat of snow and ice. Thank god that did not happen this year. Instead the day started off subject to heavy rain which was enough to deter about one third of all entrants. But the weather rapidly improved and but what I can gather, whilst the roads were grubby, there was an excellent sense of camaraderie. Out of the 240 entrants we had 140 riders on the day. "I counted them all out; and I counted them all in". Everyone finished.

The good thing about this audax is the ecclectic mix of riders from novice riders who had only ever ridden a few miles in their life to hardened triathletes. Indeed, on the last score, one guy was using it as a training ride for his mega-triathlon from London to Paris next summer. Equally pleasing, it was good to see riders that were new to audax such as 'Banjo'. Bikes ranged from a Flying Gate and some humble old steel frames to swish carbon frames. Times for completing the 123km circuit ranged from 3-35 to 10-45 (with three riders being 'timed out'). There were no accidents (thank God!), a few punctures and only one serious mechanical failure.

The cafes were happy too! The bomb proof transport cafe at Hartlebury had never seen so much trade in one day. Comments were given on never seeing so many people eat beans on toast in their life!

People appreciated the route and therefore see little point in revising it for 2012. The 2011 route had been modified over last year's event to avoid some terribly potholed lanes.

IMPORTANT DATES FOR DIARY: OTHER BEACON RCC AUDAX EVENTS

Cotswolds Audaxes: 19th June. 100/150 & 200km. All start from South Birmingham to the Cotswolds, obviously!
Snowdrop and Sunrise Express 2012. 18th February 2012.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Thanks Philip for the great day.

I must admit I thought about a DNS when I first looked out the window at the rain when I got up and again whilst splashing my way down a very wet A456, but the weather forecast was for it to improve - and it did, just before I got to Hartlebury!

My plans for a gentle pootle round with the CC Snowdrop mob were quickly scuppered thanks to missing the start for a quick toilet stop, the byzantine one way system and mis-reading the garmin so I ended up on the Sunrise route. Doh! So, yes, as predicted, I was that bloke going round the wrong way!

The faultless organisation and cafes more than made up for it though. I got back home ten hours after setting out with 112 miles on the bike computer, tired but happy.

Top Bottom