Snowdrop and Sunrise Express. Now Booking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Just a quick note to say, riders entered to these events are advised to arrive with plenty of time to spare for registering before the 8.30 or 9.00am starts. With 240 riders expected, the audax controllers at GHQ are going to have their work cut out. <BR itxtNodeId="772"><BR itxtNodeId="771">With the mild conditions forecasted, it will hopefully be a good turnout with few DNSs.<BR itxtNodeId="770"><BR itxtNodeId="769">

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Snowdropforecast.jpg

Could we be this lucky ?:rolleyes:

Banjo

A few days ago it was forecasting heavy snow!

I saw that then looked again the following day and there was no mention of cold weather at all. I am glad you posted that because I was beginning to think my memory was playing tricks on me.

Mind you this is Britain so anything is possible.I havent put the long johns and fleeces away for the season just yet :rolleyes: .

I have a 120 mile drive to Hartlebury mostly on motorway so I intend leaving home 0600 to arrive in good time for the 0900 start. Would be good to have a chinwag with other cc ers at the start. I will be in a faded red astra White Scott Speedster Yellow endura jacket black tights/ shorts.

IMG00088-20101108-1256.jpg

Distinctive feature is the bag cabletied to the seat bar carrier.

ChepstowMonmouthRide012.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Two concerns:
1) Whilst being very positive at the start of the week, BBC Weather is now showing heavy rain for Birmingham. On the positive side, it is also showing white cloud for Kidderminster, but still not far from the Brum Heavy Rain.

2) Can't find the Bridge House Tea Rooms, Upton upon Severn on Google Street View. Hoping there may be a few cyclists around who have been there before.

I'll be wearing my CC cycle top (probably - only one I have with back pockets, driving a blue Vauxhall Corsa, on a Silver Specialized Allez 16. Sadly it will be too late for me to sport a rakish moustache, so will be sporting my usual No.2 cut with a fast receding hairline. Hair colour is now a sadly more brownish red by the day.

Wobblers

Euthermic
The Met Office have vacillated between rain, heavy rain and showers all week, bless them! Which means it'll probably snow. :wacko: It, allegedly, will improve during the day, and they do seem to overdo it when forecasting rain. Hopefully it will be okay. I'll look out the goretex paclite anyway...

You'll recognise me, I'll be the one going the wrong way!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Well, back home now with my feet up, and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this ride. Weather was awful as I drove to Hartlebury but cleared nicely as the ride went on.

Organisation and routing were excellent and it was good to chat to quite a few riders.

I rode round with a friend from work (not on CC) and joined up with BrumJim and Banjo for a lot of the ride - good to meet you fellas.

As it was going to be my longest ever ride, I planned to keep my HR in Zones 1 and 2, but that went out the window :smile: and we pushed on as the ride went on.

So, my first Audax but not my last.

Martin

A nice ,albeit wet and muddy ,ride today .Did the sunrise ,didn`t see any sunrising but saw lots of snowdrops
biggrin.gif
.Have to say organisation was great at HQ and checkpoints and the bread pudding at the first stop was lovely .Had the pleasure of meeting Graham ( Banjo ) before the start ,unfortunately he was doing snowdrop so only spoke for a short while ,lovely chap though and dedicated to his cycling .That was some distance you travelled mate .Route was very good with just the right mixture of hills .Well done to Philip and Beacon RCC .
Neil

AlanW

Guru
A nice ,albeit wet and muddy ,ride today........

Understatement.........!

I did the Sunrise as well, and as usual a cracking well organized event by the Beacon RC, thanks to Phil and Lisa for a top job. Although I admit to suffering like a dog in the last few miles, and that last climb is nothing short of flippin' evil. :angry:

I also did a few extra miles, I turned left at the crossroads on the A38, instead of going straight over towards Upton. :blush:

Went down the A38 for about 1 1/2 miles before I realized that I had dropped a clanger...:blush::blush:

Banjo

Great day ouit.Mostly very light traffic on the route. Well organized good cafes for the controls.

Nice to meet some cyclechatters on the ride hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

That was my first audax but wont be the last.

that last little climb close to the end took all my willpower not to walk.

If you could just move the venue to the Vale of Glamorgan it would be perfect. :biggrin:

BrumJim

Dear Worcestershire County Council:

This letter precedes a package that will be delivered by Parcel Force shortly.

I took part in an Audax (organised cycle event) on Saturday. Whilst it was great run to ride 75 miles of some of the finest quiet roads in England, observing some of the wonderful countryside you have in your great county, when I got home, I found I had inadvertently taken a good proportion of your wonderful roads home with me to Birmingham. I carefully washed my bike of all this grime last night, and centrifuged out the non-water component. Please will you accept with my apologies my light-fingered (light-framed?) attitude towards your wonderful road, and agree to return the grime from whence it came, without taking any further action.

Oh, and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not add any on the lane from Addis Lane to Elmbridge. That hill there is totally unnecessary and far too steep already.

BrumJim

As it was going to be my longest ever ride, I planned to keep my HR in Zones 1 and 2, but that went out the window :smile: and we pushed on as the ride went on.

Your fault. Not mine!

Thanks for the company.

Oh, yes, and thanks to all to helped to organise this event. Perfect for shaking off the winter sloth, and great for getting me fit for ski-ing next week.

And what do Rafael's put in their coffee cake? Last leg should have nearly killed me, but I still had plenty (well, 'enough' to be more honest) in the tank for the last hill, and legs aren't complaining at all this morning.

Banjo

Jim if I ride with you again you are limited to only half a bit of cake per stop :biggrin:

Enjoyed the ride so much i have just entered another one . A few big climbs on this one but at least there honest mountains and not sneaky little ones put there to catch you out when you thought you were coasting for home :biggrin:

Rhonnda Traverse Sunday 10 th of April My link

Top Bottom